Chapter Seventeen

Avenger's P.O.V.

Nova was woken up from her sleep a few hours later by Nat, who had knocked once and entered without waiting for a response, wearing a stunning sparkling black dress with a slit down one leg, her red hair curled elegantly.

"Wow, Nat you look gorgeous!" Nova exclaimed and she smiled, secretly happy with the compliment, before explaining the reason for disturbing her.

"I had a feeling you wouldn't be ready, so I've come to quickly help make you look just as good," She announced with a wink, brandishing a makeup bag in one hand and a garment bag in the other, causing Nova to gulp nervously.

"Ah, I see...I thought you were against this whole 'party' idea?" She asked.

"Well when it comes to Stark, sometimes there's no point in arguing," Nat explained as she began to style Nova's usually wild brown hair. "And sometimes you have to go along with it, but that doesn't mean you can't have a little fun anyways. Besides, I'm always prepared." She smirked, moving the skirt of her dress to reveal a garter holster with a small handgun.

"Oh I want one of those!" Nova gaped.

"I will personally get you one when you become a part of the team." She promised with a grin as Nova sat back, letting her work on her hair and face with products she couldn't even name, and she tried not to squirm as the brushes tickled her face. Nat worked fast, and before long she had Nova made up and zipped up in a dress, taking a step back to admire her work, nodding in satisfaction.

"Perfect," She gathered up her things. "I have to run and speak to Bruce quickly, but you look really good- there's a pair of shoes just here by the door. You come up when you're ready, there's no need to rush, okay?" She smiled kindly before leaving, her heels clicking as she walked down the corridor. Curious, Nova walked over to the full length mirror, and found herself surprised by her own reflection; Her eyes had never looked so violet, framed with darker and longer lashes that were emphasized further by her pale skin, and she felt like a completely different person as she took in the short black dress and beautiful curled hair, ringlets falling delicately either side of her face, framing it familiarly... Out of nowhere, her emotions got the better of her and she burst into tears; her chest tightened because for a split second she saw her mother, the way she remembered her before being sent away. 'She'd never see me like this and tell me to stay safe, I'd never make my parents angry by coming home late from a party, I'd never be normal'... The thoughts swum round her head until a small knock at the door made her jump.

"Come in," She sniffled, rummaging around for a tissue, feeling confused and ridiculous for crying. The door opened and she looked up, extremely surprised to find Bucky standing awkwardly in the doorway. A shiver of fear ran down her spine- but it was mixed with another feeling that she couldn't quite place. "Oh, Bucky- I didn't expect, I mean, I'm sorry you caught me in such a mess..."

"No it's ok," He responded. His eyes travelled down, taking in Nova's outfit before he quickly closed his eyes and took a breath, focusing himself again. "I- I just wanted to apologize properly for the other day, I truly would never hurt you on purpose." He opened his eyes again and they were full of remorse. "I left a mark on you and I feel so disgusted with-"

"Bucky it's okay, you know you're completely forgiven, and it was partly my own fault anyway," Nova responded with a smile, trying to hide her recent emotional outburst.

"I know you said that, but it wouldn't have been right if I didn't apologize properly." He murmured, then tilted his head slightly. "Are you alright, doll?" She looked down, sitting on the bed with a shaky sigh whilst wiping away tears, glad that whatever Nat used on her face seemed to be waterproof.