Twenty two

Maven

We can't find my wife. Everyone over Archeon has searched, and to no avail. 

No one can find Lady Evangeline, Lady Elaine, Lady Seline, or Lady Sonya, her closest friends either. 

Volo Samos is watching me as I pace, growling angrily, his hands behind his back. 

"Sire-" 

"Shut up." I hiss, and Elara watches me pace, dipping her head to the side in pity. 

"Darling, she's run away from her duty as Queen, there's nothing else you can do." 

I will find her. And when I do find her. 

I will kill her. 

As I walk out of the throne room, I murmur. "Kill him." 

Volo's screams do not haunt me, but I know I can access Evangeline. If they are with my wife, then I will target each of their families. 

Mare

Evangeline is sobbing uncontrollably, her silver skirt spread around her like a halo and I hold her tightly. 

A broadcast just went out to all Nortans, Lakelanders, Montfort's, Piedmontese, and Tiraxes. 

Maven killed Volo Samos, Evangeline's father. 

His phrase haunts me the most. 
"If you do not return in the next week, House Haven's tiny girl goes next." 

Elaine screamed when she heard that Liesel was next, her 4 year old baby sister. 

Maven's targeting us, and Iris holds her stomach protectively. 

"Mare, what do we do?" Seline said, hugging Sonya tightly. 

I close my eyes. "I will go to Archeon, alone. I'm the only one who can face Maven and bring him back." 

Protests of the Royal Lakelander family, and my friends shriek, but I hold up a hand. 

"Mare, you'll die!" Seline says, and I smile sadly. 

"Maven won't kill me. He can't. Elara wouldn't cause him that grief. If he did, he would immediately realize what he'd done, and Elara's curse on him would break. And if I die, then I will be happy knowing I died in the arms of my lover and for my country." 

Evangeline shakes her head. "Mare, you can't-" 

"Evangeline, no. Your families are no targets, your families don't know where you are and they're terrified of losing anyone. All of the world knows Maven's not right in the head at the moment, which is why it is crucial I return to keep all of you safe, as your Queen." 

Iris shakes her head, her tears pooling in her eyes. "Please.." 

I raise my chin, hiding my trembling lips. "I leave at dawn tomorrow. Alone." 

As I pack, I brush tears away from my eyes as quickly as I can, but I eventually collapse on the floor, my chest heaving with sobs. 

Maven, my true love, might be beyond the point of saving, and if I want to save Norta, maybe I need to be the one to bring the corrupt king down. 

And to think not 3 days ago, we had been talking about children. Our future together.  

At dawn, I write a hasty note. 

'Evangeline, Iris, Sonya, Seline, and Elaine- 

you are all beautiful, strong women, and once it is safe to return to Norta, I will write to you. Iris, if I don't return, I want you to know that you'll be happy with your husband and baby. Evangeline, if I die, I want you to take the throne of Queen, because I stole that from you with Cal, and I am forever sorry for that. Seline, you are the strongest warrior of House Iral and I wish you the best possible legacy for your name. Sonya, be brave, and strong.