9

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Ted! Happy birthday to you!"
Ted laughs, surrounded by cheers, as he extiguishes the candles. Everyone shuffles into a semicircle, facing him as his attention turns the the pile of presents. The others had gone out to get him presents a few days earlier, except for Hannah and Tim who he had been babysitting.

Lex is the first to hand hers over.
"I hope you like it."
Inside, a coupon for a free pride flag sits in an envelope. Ted goes red.
"I don't know what you identify as so you can choose yourself."
Holding back tears, Ted hugs her, with great difficulty due to her stomach, now bloated at 7 months.

Next up is Alice. She hands Ted a white and pink striped bag. He smiles and pulls out a lime green fluffy blanket. Tom, Becky, Lex and Hannah go rigid.

Hidgens is next.
"Um, I got you a new set of headphones. I know they're not much, but...."
He's cut off when a teary Ted knocks him over into a hug. They pull back and look into each other's eyes, contemplating kissing. A raspy gasp fills the room before they can, causing them to immediately turn to the source of the sound. Hannah.

"Shh, Shh. It's OK. You're OK. We're safe."
The small teen is helped down onto a chair by her big sister.
"Breath, remember? Breath in... And out" Lex coachs, joining in with the inhaling and exhaling as Hannah follows. Tears stream down her face as she breathes slowly. Everyone avoids her glance to not make her feel like entertainment.
"It's- I just-"
"It's OK. I know. She didn't know."
"Is she alright?"
Lex turns to the concerned birthday boy.
"Just anxiety. One of your gifts probably triggered a memory from the mall."
Ted surveys his gift pile and focuses on Alice's.
"The blanket?"
Lex nods discreetly, so not to guilt Alice.
"It's the colour of the doll that caused... It's the reason we're here and not at home."
Hannah seems to be calming down. Paul returns from the kitchen with a glass of water which she accepts thankfully. The rest of the day goes well. Ted even plucked up the courage to ask the Professor.... If he could take a walk in the gardens. At least it gave him time to use his new headphones and have some peace.

(you get double cause I totally didn't forget yesterday)