A Hard-Learned Lesson

Sahara felt exhausted and depressed. After a good two hours, she had learned how to switch the board on and off, how to get on when it was hovering without falling, and simply stand on it. Though she was still wobbly in a standing position, she no longer had to lean on to Terrell. However, when it came to moving forward, she just couldn't find the right amount she needed to lean. As a result, she always leaned too far and ended up shooting forward. At least she had come to a point where she could fall so that she landed on her feet; or maybe it was due to the fact that she expected to fall and so was ready for it. Yet still, this was not the progress Sahara had hoped for.

Why does it have to be so hard? She thought in despair as she watched the board fly off without her once again. She shot a look over at Terrell.

He was sitting on a wooden crate, sipping a carton of strawberry milk as he watched. He had been sitting there for the last hour, watching her fall off the board again and again. It was getting beyond embarrassing for Sahara.

Terrell, who saw her looking, shot her a thumbs up.

"This isn't working," Sahara told him as she walked towards him.

Terrell snorted. "Of course it is. Look what you can do now compared to when you started out. You're a natural." Though he said it, he didn't sound in the least bit convinced.

Sahara shot a look off despair in the direction of the board.

"Look," Terrell told her as he tossed the empty carton behind him. "Boarding is not something you learn overnight. It's hard...especially if you start learning this late. It's just takes a lot of time."

His words didn't make Sahara feel any better. She didn't have that much time. "How long?" she asked Terrell.

He gave her a questioning look.

"How long until I can board well enough to race?"

Terrell seemed to debate on the answer. "That depends on how much practice you put into it..." he began slowly. "But honestly..." he trailed off as he looked away. "Boarding well enough to race...maybe in the lower level races, but upper level ones," he turned to look right at Sahara, "I'm not going to get your hopes up."

"So it's impossible then?" Sahara asked. She sunk to the ground.

"You said it," Terrell told her with a shrug.

"I'll never get home," Sahara said as tears filled her eyes.

"Well, that didn't take long," Terrell commented dryly as he got to his feet.

Sahara looked up at him.

"I knew you weren't being serious," Terrell muttered. Sahara almost thought she detected disappointment in his voice. She watched for a moment as he walked away.

"Wait!" she called as she scrambled to her feet. "Where are you going?"

Terrell turned around to face her. "If you're going to give up, then there's no reason to be helping you, is there?"

Sahara's mouth opened, and yet nothing came out.

"The inner city is that way," Terrell pointed. "As long as you keep your head low and don't do anything to stand out, you'll be fine."

Numbly Sahara got to her feet.

"I can take you in if you need–"

"Stop!" Sahara finally got out.

Terrell raised an eyebrow.

"Who said anything about giving up?" Sahara asked him. She lifted her hand and motioned for the board. It flew towards her and came to a stop some distance in front as she commanded it to. She turned her eyes back on Terrell. "I'll get it," she said as she jutted her chin out determinedly. "I'll learn how to board and race. I'll reach the top and talk to Rayne, and I'll get back home. Just you wait and see."