First Job

Sahara followed Terrell at a distance. Her eyes widened in recognition as led the way towards a familiar building. It was Drake's Café; the one they had visited just the day before. Just outside of it, Terrell dropped his hover board in a box. When he swiped his finger across a pad next to it, a red light appeared all around the board and it swayed gently back and forth in one spot. Sahara could only guess that the red light had to be some sort of alarm to stop anyone trying to take the board. She followed his example with her own. Then she followed Terrell into the café. The bell chimed, announcing their presence.

"Be right with you!" a voice boomed somewhere from within the room behind the counter.

Terrell murmured something to the two girls. Their response was a fit of giggles before they strutted over to a table. Both constantly shot glances at Terrell as though they couldn't believe their luck. Terrell didn't even seem to notice as he turned to Sahara.

"What are we doing here?" Sahara asked him in hushed tones. Behind Terrell, both girls ceased their giggling. They glanced from Sahara to Terrell and then broke into whispers, shooting Sahara suspicious looks.

Terrell looked like he was about to reply when the man from the day before walked into the room. A wash towel was slung over one shoulder and he was wiping his hands on his apron. Seeming to forget Sahara momentarily, Terrell turned his attention to him.

"Oh, you're back," the look of surprise on the man's face made Sahara feel as though people didn't commonly return after visiting once. "What can I do for you today?" He added as he walked to where Terrell and Sahara were; the counter separated them.

"She needs a job." Terrell jerked a thumb at Sahara.

The man's eyes darted to her and Sahara's eyes widened. She shot Terrell a surprised look.

"Your point?" the man asked as he looked back at Terrell.

"You're working alone. You could use some help, couldn't you?" Terrell leaned on the counter.

"What makes yo–"

"Yesterday you said your last help split," Terrell cut him off, "Said the pay wasn't enough if I remember correctly."

"Exactly," the man said. "The pay wasn't high enough and I'm not raising it either."

"What is it?" Terrell asked.

Sahara watched the exchange. Why is no one asking my opinion on this? she wondered.

"Three points per hour," the man replied as his hands crossed over his chest.

Terrell snorted. "And you wonder why your last help left?" he asked.

Sahara had no idea what points were worth, yet from Terrell's reaction three points an hour was not a lot. If she remembered correctly, the drinks he had paid for the day before had been fifteen. All in all, it looked like she would have to work five hours to pay for only three drinks.

"Five," Terrell told the man.

His reply was a raised eyebrow.

"Make it five," Terrell told him.

"You're trying to bargain?" the man asked. "What makes you think I'll..."

He trailed off as Terrell leaned forward. "I'm guessing you don't get many customers," he told the man.

The man narrowed his eyes. "And what would you know about that?"

The corner of Terrell's lips turned up. "Let's just say it didn't take long to figure out yesterday."