Chapter 4

Anne's POV

We ventured outside to see Marcy's pet bird picking holes in the ground. What's was his name again? John? Jeff? Joe Sparrow. That's a pretty unique name for a pet, but it's Marcy's after all. "Joe Sparrow!" She scolded her companion and pointed at the ground. "The spa owner will get mad at us for damaging the property!". She did have a point. "Let's be honest about it and tell the owner what happened" I chimed in. It's better to tell her about the holes than fleeing the scene. Trust me, I learnt that the hard way. Being lectured by Hop Pop was something I did not want to experience on my birthday.

After getting yelled at, Marbles and I strolled to the town square at sat by the fountain. Today wasn't a particularly busy day, so it was just the two of us. Everyone else must have been off doing whatever they do. The lengthy silence accompanied with the sound of rushing water reminded me of the event in the Spa. Why did I call her cute? Well, to be honest, I'm not lying about it. Marcy is definitely cute. She's built like a doll and those emerald puppy eyes are irresistible. Were her eyes always green? Eh, it doesn't matter. "...Anne?" I snapped back to reality and caught myself from falling into the fountain. "Sorry" I mumbled and picked myself back up. "Like I was saying..." the dork continued. "Did you know that on your birthday you have a 7% higher chance of dying?". I didn't need to have that creepy fact in the back of my head, but it's fine since it's from Marcy. "I can't believe you're 14 now, I still remember meeting you at the playground in kindergarten" She rested her face on her palm. The golden ball in the sky set and our surroundings faded into an orange haze. "Time flies". "It really does. We've been in Amphibia for a year now" I studied her face. She looked no different from when we were back home. Personality wise, she got more confident, but apart from that she was the same girl I knew for all these years. Excluding her amazon warrior princess outfit. Until now, I've never noticed how I enjoyed moments like these. They just hit different. Maybe it's because I've been with frogs for awhile. Maybe not.

"We should get back home" Marcy stood up and whistled, summoning Joe Sparrow. "The Plantars must be planning something for you". My head nodded in agreement as we mounted the bird. We sat in a comfortable silence until the flight ended. Yawning, I rubbed my eyes and opened the door to see....