Chapter 3

There was a steady high pitch beeping ringing noise. It felt like I had water in my ears, being muffled and just plain annoying. I blinked a couple times and felt someone's grasp tighten on my wrist.

A husky voice with an Irish accent spoke, "Emily, are you awake?" He said. I blinked a couple more times to clear my vision.

A head of brown-dyed-blond hair entered my view. "Emily? If you are awake can you squeeze my hand?" He said again.

I did as he asked and his face relaxed into a smile, his blue eyes twinkling in the bright light. "Hey, do you remember me?" He asked, his hand still holding mine.

I hesitated for a moment, he was... Niall. "Niall?" I questioned.

His face lit up again, "Yeah, do you remember how you met me?" He asked.

Again, I had to think about it. It was almost as if yesterday had been partially erased from my memory. Marie's birthday was yesterday... And I got a new job from that company... And I went to a club for he job... And I met Harry and Niall. Then I... I got a call from Dad saying that Sam had been shot! Sam had been shot! I sat straight up and the world went dark and fuzzy. Niall panicked and pushed me back down into the hospital bed slowly.

"Sam got shot! Sam got shot..." I moaned into my hands. "I have to go see Sam," I said and attempted to get out of my bed.

"Whoa, you can't go see Sam, you have to stay here," he said, worry crossing his face.

"Wait, why do you care?" I asked a growing suspicion making a home in my head. Why would some random guy I met be worried about me? Unless we did something... "We didn't do anything... Right?" I asked, edging away from him.

"No! I care because I am the reason you are in here. You were running down the street and we didn't see each other and you hit me and fell backwards and cracked your head on the ground and passed out, so I brought you here, and here we are," he said, motioning to the room.

It took a minute for that to sink in, "So you aren't some crazy rapist?" I asked, just to make sure.

He cracked up and keeled over laughing, "No!" He managed to squeak out then kept laughing.

I had to admit, it was sorta funny, I mean I woke up in a hospital with a pop star next to me and accused him of being a crazy rapist... Yupp, my humour is a bit strange. I let out a giggle and soon we were flat out laughing, with tears streaming from both of our eyes. Then I remembered Sam and my laughter died.

Niall looked at me concerned, "Is something wrong?" He asked.

"Sam," I breathed out, looking at my hands. "Do you think I can go visit him?" I made eye contact with his shocking blue eyes and a shiver ran down my spine.

"Let's get a doctor in here and they can tell, ok?" I nodded and he summoned a doctor.

Half an hour later I stood in my clothes from last night with a bandage wrapped around my head, in front if my brothers closed door.

"Do you want me to wait out here?" He asked ad I shook my head. Right now he was the only thing keeping me from falling down into a messy pile of emotions.

I knocked on the door and my dad opened it, swooping me up in a big hug. There were tear tracks on his face and his eyes were red and puffy. I immediately hugged him back.

"Emily," he breathed.

"Hi Dad, how's Sam?" I asked.

He pulled away, "He's stable, but not getting much better. He was shot in a kidney multiple times so he had to go in for surgery and have his kidney removed, it wasn't able to be fixed. He is sleeping right now," he said, his voice shaking.