Chapter 22

I want y’all to guess’s but will tell you in a bit when it is apparent  ;)  POV

“At most? Two months,” A beautiful girl with dirty blonde hair pulled up in a long pony tail and tears streaming down her face collided into my chest. Instinctually my arms wrapped around her in a tight hug. Her head buried into my chest, her shoulders shaking heavily with sobs. I pulled her tighter to me, holding her close as her tears wet the front of my shirt. “Hey shhh, it’s alright, it’s ok,” I rubbed her back softly in circles, and she slowly started to relax into my arms.

She was... adorably beautiful. Even in the nasty bruise like hospital scrubs she was utterly magnificent. Her dirty blonde hair in her high but drooping ponytail with bangs slightly falling out and framing her enchanting face. Her frame was small and delicate. Her ribs poked out against my arms as her lungs expanded and deflated with each breath. Her sobs shook not only her shoulders but her entire body. She was just so frail and delicate. I just felt this undeniable need to... protect her. 

I don’t know how long I looked at her. It could have been seconds, minutes, hours, or even days, and I would never grow tired of looking at her. I shook my head, letting my curls fall into my eyes then flicking them out with a swift shake. I tore my gaze away from the top of her petite frame, my green eyes widening at the scene before me.

A shiver trickled down my spine like a drop of freezing water running over my skin. 

Niall. His eyes were red and he looked completely deflated, tears running down his face. He was slouched in one of the uncomfortable hospital chairs, his head leaning back against the wall. He looked like he was in utter pain, even more pain than the time his knee popped out and was dislocated. He looked... broken. 

And Emily. Emily was laying in the hospital bed. She was pale and stupefied. She had this look of ‘how?’ on her face. An IV was hooked up into her arm with a clear liquid feeding into her veins. Deep dark bags hung under her normally bright eyes and her skin was sallow and sunken against her face. Her cheekbones were prominent against her face making her hauntingly beautiful, but not nearly as beautiful as the nameless girl in my arms. She was crying, not even crying, just letting tears roll down her face. 

“Emily?” I choked out hoarsely. 

She didn’t move, just stared at the ceiling. She was a statue. She didn’t seem to be alive.

“Niall? What’s going on here?” I asked hoarsely again. The nameless girl buried into my chest further, her sobs growing heavier. I rubbed her back again, trying to soothe the beautiful girl. “Niall? Please?” my voice cracked. 

He stood up tiredly, rubbing his face. His eyes were rimmed with red as he moved over to stand next to her and hold her hand. She looked up at him and smiled a little sad smile. He tried to smile back but couldn’t manage more than a small half smile to bring out the little half dimple on his face. The amount of just emotion across his face in that moment was astonishing that he had only know this girl for a month. And for one week out of that month he hadn’t even been with her.

“Harry... Emily, she, she has-” a rough sob broke through his words as his voice croaked. He had been off at the concert, checking his phone constantly and not entirely focused on what he was doing. He didn’t have his energy and whenever he could he was checking the clock. I don’t think he realized we noticed that he was acting but how could we not? We practically lived with him. He was a part of our family. 

Emily heard him break and rubbed his hand comfortingly with such tenderness it was heartbreaking. He bent over and kissed her on the forehead softly with devotion and adoration glowing in waves off of him. Oh my, he was whipped.