CHAPTER FOUR: UNVEILED

The two stood facing each other in shock. Amelia fiddling with her fingers as she was seated on the table and Carol with her back leaned to the counter beside the dining.

"H-How di-d you know?" she spoke in distress rubbing her neck.

"Don't be alarmed I am one" 

She gave a confused eye to her.

"You?? How are YOU a Serpent ?"

"How are YOU here?"

Silence broke between them again. Feeling the rising tension, Millie spoke.

"Look if you are uncomfortable accomodating another serpent here I could gldly find another place to stay-"

"NO..no...nono you don't have to do anything like that it's just.." she sighed. "I wonder why the Serpents are training younger people right now."

"I guess they've...tried to become more boisterous.."

"Nonesense!! I left the Serpents to start a family and they all saw me as cowardice and ignorant. They were so stifled and selfish because I was leaving a bigger family to start my own smaller one!!"

"And under who's reign were you forced down like that?"

"I come from the north side division"

"Barty's group..right?". Carol nodded in response.

"Do you?...Miss battle?"

"I do...very much...but I can't leave my family here. My husband works at the firm around here and isn't home most of the time. I have this B&B and a son to look after. And to be perfectly candid, I agreed to face this life even if I had to quit the cult."

"Would you believe me if I told you that the south division could allow you to continue battle while looking after your family at the same time?"

She gave an unsure expression. She wasn't entirely prepared to go back into force.

"Look, the north is different from the south. Here we've evolved and are much more modernized from the old regime. It's just a thought but you could try joining the south". 

"The south can do that?"

Amelia looked at Carol in the eye. "The south can do much more than that".

"So, tell me why have you run away from there?"

Amelia looked a little upset and hung her head down. She didn't know how much to reveal, but understood the truth be out anyway.

"The place went under attack by the roaches. They ruined everything. The camp is in ruin right now, so we all fleed away."

Carol looked at her with sorrowful eyes. She went over to her and placed her arms on her shoulders and bent down to whisper in her ear.

"Stay here for as long as you like. I won't let them get to you"

"Thank you" she said with light brimming in her eyes and a smile across her face.

"Now what shall I call you?"

"Amelia...Amelia Jones"

***********************************************************************************

Time skip to the next day

Another day at Bright Fields and Amelia reaches the stable a half hour early to check on Flynn. She walked back to shed 9 to see him upright and healthy with his brown dotty eyes brimming with light.