23|° immerse

{hello y'all, there are some parts that were italicized but i made an edit and they all reset back to normal and i'm too lazy to go through the whole of it AGAIN. i'll probably do it in future. For now, I hope you enjoy.}

IT IS Thursday night and Hope is turning on her bed, trying to find a comfortable enough position in order to sleep

IT IS Thursday night and Hope is turning on her bed, trying to find a comfortable enough position in order to sleep. The nightmares have been increasing and adopting a spontaneous effect.

Alice is sitting on her bed typing away what Hope assumes is assignments on her laptop while listening to some soft gospel music.

Hope turns her body over in the direction of Alice and then supports her head with her left hand.

"Are you doing an assignment?"

Alice hums, without looking up.

"Is it difficult?" Hope asks. "Is your major difficult?"

Alice now looks up, "Not really. There are some difficult units, but overall it's just exhausting. Why do you ask? You don't wanna do a faculty transfer, do you?"

"What if I do?" Hope asks defensively, arching an eyebrow.

"Then I'll tell you now, don't go for it," Alice sighs distractedly, adjusting her brown rimmed glasses on her nose.

"Why? Don't think I can handle it?" Hope asks, her tone getting even more defensive. She inhales sharply, reminding herself that this is not Sly. It's Alice. Alice cares. "Sorry."

"It's fine," Alice shrugs with a tired smile. She then sits upright in a manner that tells Hope that all of Alice's attention is on her, if the way both her head and body tilt to Hope's direction is any indication. Somehow, to think that someone would give her full attention, to think that someone would put everything aside just to pay attention to her makes her heart fill up with liquid warmth. It just settles in the soft spot of heart. "Is everything okay?"

The lie is sitting on her tongue, waiting to be spilled out but Hope swallows it deciding to go with the truth.

"Not really. I'm nervous about tomorrow." She sighs.

"Why? What's happening tomorrow?" Alice furrows her eyebrows trying to figure it out. The action causes Hope to smile seeing as how her friend does not like forgetting important dates.

"I volunteered to write the CU blog, now I'm nervous about the crowd." It sounds so lame even to her own ears but Alice just nods in understanding.

"I get it." Alice says thoughtfully. "Why don't you uum, you know, pray about it?"

It's not something they speak about often. Praying or reading the Bible. When it comes to religion, there has been that line that neither of them cross, especially Hope. To each her own.

She bites her scoff, "Does that even work?"

"You'll be surprised." Alice says smoothly.

"If it doesn't I'll hold you accountable for wasting my time," Hope jokes and Alice just laughs, going back to her work.