14|° no escape

LAWRENCE WALKS aimlessly around the campus, going to and fro, back and forth

Judging by the position of the sun, it must be about 5:30 pm. His feet move, but no matter how fast they move they cannot keep up with the bolts of thoughts that are being fired by his brain.

Why was Col glaring at him when he saw Hope talking to him?

Why did he feel the need to silently converse with Hope, hoping that she'd see him? Why was he okay with it? Is that not what Ndavi has been trying to do? Has Lawrence not been pushing him away?

Why did Col feel the need to slip his hand behind Hope, as if being possessive of her? Does Col view Lawrence as his equal when it comes to winning Hope's trust while Lawrence is only trying to do Col's bidding?

Why did Hope freeze and panic when Lawrence laid his hand around her waist? Why did she seem like she was having a panic attack?

Why did Hope look at him when Col asked her out as if she was seeking his consent?

No.

Lawrence is sure he is just overthinking. He needs to relax. He has hurt her before and there is no way on earth she would be warming up to him. He has always been bickering with her and he is sure that he annoys the daylights out of her.

So why can he not get the image of Hope's fearful look from his head?

Why does he care anyways? It is her life and she can deal with whatever it is that she is going through. He should not care and he will not care and he does not care.

She is a mission. He is helping his brother out and that is all it is. He needs to keep his vision clear otherwise he will fail this.

In as much as Lawrence wishes he could see her as anything but a target, he knows that it will hurt to fail his brother — someone he loves — more than it will hurt to fail Hope, someone he does not know.

Lawrence kicks something solid and he looks down at the same time he mutters an 'ouch' only to find a log of wood on the ground. When he casts his glance around, he realizes that his feet led him to the botanical gardens. He sighs, a bit thankful to his feet for directing him here.

Considering how large the grounds covered by the campus are, Lawrence has never once stepped foot in this garden. It has just always been too far and he has never thought it would be worth it coming here despite the songs of praise that have been sung about this place up until now.

Only a few people are in this place, silently talking to each other and enjoying the freshness this place seems to exude. There is fresh air, fresh grass, fresh mist, fresh flowers and fresh trees. Lawrence cannot help but hope that this freshness is contagious. Maybe then, he will get fresh thoughts too.

He walks around a few students before he finally settles on a raised rock that has a flat top, that is laying around a clearing of trees which form a canopy far above him. He sighs, giving himself wholly to the peace and the solitude.