Chapter 2- Pickled Cabbage

"That's so embarrassing. Can you stop?" You poked at Sunoo.

Sunoo ignored you and shifted away from your relentless pokes. He continued to stuff his mouth with the kimchi your grandmother had freshly made. It was well known that your grandmother had the best kimchi in the community but to eat it on the streets in such a disgraceful manner was mortifying.

"Stop it!"

"No! You drank your strawberry milk when we walked to school last time!"

"That's milk!"

"Same thing. It's all food!"

Sunoo licked his reddened fingers.

"At least stop using your fingers."

"Do you see chopsticks lying around?"

Sunoo rolled his eyes.

"Enough," you said with finality, wrestling the plastic box of kimchi away from him.

"Hey!"

You shut the lid.

"I'm never bringing kimchi to you on a school day."

Sunoo scrunched his nose at you and wiped his fingers on the tissue you handed him.

***

You haven't made any friends or connections at the school yet. Heeseung had brought a new friend to lunch. His name was Jungwon. He was handsome, there was no doubt about that. Jungwon was the person with a smile that brightens everyone's day... even improving the days of people who had been embarrassed by fellow friends eating kimchi on the sidewalk.

"Hi! I'm the one and only: Jungwon!" He said brightly, extending his hand.  

You smiled at his cute greeting and shook his hand gently."I'm y/n."

As he opened his mouth to say something, two girls walked up to your lunch table. They blushed.

"Your name is Sunghoon right?" One girl asked, tucking her curly gold hair behind her ear. "I'm Amber!"

Sunghoon gave her an acknowledging nod, "Hello Amber!"

The girl blushed and handed him her phone. "This is sort of sudden, but...Could I get your number?"

You felt a stinging sensation in your heart and your chest tightened. Sunghoon was certainly popular among the ladies. Since middle school, Sunghoon was asked out, but you were used to it... but the roller coasters of lingering feelings in your chest tightened around you like ropes every passing day.

Sunghoon opened his mouth to speak, but you interrupted, not wanting to hear what he said.

"I'm sorry. I need to go to the restroom."

Heeseung and Jungwon chattered on, not noticing what was happening. Sunoo looked surprised, and he looked at you questioningly. You avoided his speculating gaze.

"You're not done eating," Sunoo said, grasping your wrist as you tried to walk away.

Shaking your head, you withdrew your hand from his grip and walked quickly to the bathroom. You rushed into a stall and locked the door.

I'm selfish, you thought. I want to keep my friends right by my side and I don't give them enough freedom. Sunghoon... Sunoo... I'm sorry. I like Sunghoon, but I need to stop my feelings. Where is the stopper to this overflowing bottle of emotions?

Thoughts rushed through your head, causing your head to pound. Standing there for a few minutes, face buried in palms and breathing deeply, you felt the pounding of your head fade.

Eventually, you walk out of the bathroom. I wonder if Sunghoon gave her his number. No. That's none of my business.

"Hey! Where were you?" A familiar voice spoke into your ear.

You jumped. Automatically, you pasted a smile on your face to replace the frown.

"Hello, Sunoo!"

He smiled back, eyes crinkling at the edges, but his face cast by a shadow of worry.