Chapter 3- Let me be your light

Sunoo POV:

I know y/n likes Sunghoon. She liked him from the day she set eyes on him... in middle school. Y/n would never tell me directly because she's the type of person to keep feelings bottled up until she bursts... but I'm being a hypocrite here. I like y/n. I can't help but feel hurt when she looks up to Sunghoon affectionately or her gentle rosy blushes when she talks to him. Recently, these dark churning feelings of jealousy, pain, and disgust have grown. I don't know how to stop. Is this the reward of love? Since childhood, I've fallen in love with a different y/n. The one who was outgoing, bright, and gullible. She was so gentle and open, just like the fresh new buds of Spring... that sounds corny... but it was true. Y/n was the embodiment of Spring itself in the past... but now, something has changed. Ever since last year, y/n became afraid and keeps everything to herself. She was still her silly and bright self among her friends, but she buried secrets into the depths... not even letting me past the iron gates of her heart. Nevertheless, I love her. I'll love y/n even if she confesses to Sunghoon and their relationship blossoms. I don't mind standing by the sidelines... I've always been standing here. To her, I'm just her best friend... a flashlight that can lead her through the dark, and I'll be there to guide her until she doesn't need me anymore... until she can find her own light.

***

( Back to the main story)

The gentle murmurs of the library washed over you like a blanket of warmth. Feeling your eyes grow heavy, the mess of numbers and formulas grew blurry on the sheet of math problems you were assigned today. You didn't sleep until 3:00 am yesterday, so it wouldn't hurt to take a short nap right? Sleepily, you glanced at Sunoo, who was already sleeping, his head buried in his arms, head slightly tilted your way. There was a fallen eyelash on his cheek, and you slumped forward, resting your head on one of your arms and gently brushing the eyelash away with a gentle touch of your fingers. You closed your eyes.

"y/n," Someone called gently while shaking your arm, "y/n."

That voice belonged to Sunoo. He woke up already.

You groaned and continued to sleep. A warm finger poked at your cheek and you shifted away from the touch.

Suddenly, the loud screeching of a chair caused you to wake up. You jolted forward, eyes flashing open like a deer caught in the headlights.

This time it was Sunghoon.

"Mumbling her name in her ear is not going to work. She sleeps like a pig." Sunghoon laughed.

You could hear the clicking of the chair's legs as it hit the tiled floor of the library

Sunoo tried to suppress a smile. You blinked trying and rubbed the sleep from your eyes.

"Were you up last night?" Sunoo asked.

"Yeah," you muttered, still sleepy. "I stayed up till' 2:00 am."

"That's not good for you. See you're still so short." Sunoo patted your head.

Scowling, you glared at him. "I'm literally 5'5". That's tall enough."

"Wah~ So tiny~," Sunoo teased, laughing.

You mumbled angry words.

"Language!" Sunoo gasped, mortified. "Did Sunghoon teach you this?"

He pointed at Sunghoon accusingly with mock anger.

Sunghoon put both hands up. "Nope, not me."

"It was him," You said, piping up.

"Sunghoon! What are you teaching this poor little innocent child?"

Sunoo hugged you from behind... as if shielding you from the dangers of the world. You stood on his feet and he waddled around, like a penguin, still holding you. It was a childhood ritual. Sunoo moved his feet and you tried to stay balanced on his feet, almost toppling over with laughter. With your backs turned on Sunghoon, you didn't notice the tension in his jaw nor the angry jealousy sparked in his eyes.

"So childish," Sunghoon muttered under his breath while rolling his eyes.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing. I'm going to leave first."