Chapter 8- Black Cofee and Ice Cream

The ice cream shop was closer to where Sunghoon lived, and since you guys weren't at a legal age to drive... you walked. It took twenty minutes, and by the time you guys got to your destination, your hair was disheveled and cheeks bright pink from the heat. The little portable fan, you brought barely helped. You guys saw a familiar figure through the cafe's window. Although he was wearing a bucket hat that covered his face, the tall boy lounging in the shop while scrolling through his phone had to be Sunghoon. The little Totoro plush keychain you gave him in middle school was still hanging on his phone. Annoyed that he didn't have to suffer the same sweaty fate that both Sunoo and you had undergone, you rushed up to the window and pounded the glass. Sunghoon jumped, phone dropping from his hand. Whipping his head around to see who it was, he made eye contact with you. You smirked at his dark, glaring eyes. His mouth moved, showing his sharp incisors but you were bad at lip reading. It was probably some kind of curse word. You stuck out your tongue at him before heading inside the shop.

"Stop being so childish," Sunghoon said, sipping at the drink he had already ordered while waiting for you guys.

"What is that?" You ask, pointing at the cup. It was a dark brown color, held in a tall glass of ice.

"Here have a sip."

Sunoo watched you with pursed lips as you carefully took a sip from Sunghoon's glass. You gagged, coughing at the bitterness. Sunghoon snickered.

"You should've told me it was black coffee! You know I hate bitter things!"

Shrugging, Sunghoon gulped down more of the dark liquid.

"It tastes perfectly sweet to me," He added.

You went to order with Sunoo, busily reading the menu with indecisiveness. As your back was turned, Sunghoon smiled slyly to himself. Touching the rim of the glass, he looked at the faint imprint of your lip gloss on the glass and drank from the same spot. His cheeks blushed and a rush of shame hit him. What am I doing? he thought to himself, pinching at his temple.

***

"Wah~"

You let out a cry of awe as Sunoo handed you an ice cream.

"Thank you for treating me," You said to Sunoo, smiling.

"No problem."

You felt a chill down your spine. His words felt cold and distant for some reason.

"Aren't you going to take a photo?" Sunghoon asked as you licked your ice dejectedly.

"Hm?"

"You usually take photos of your food."

"Oh, I forgot," You said blankly.

"Give me a bite then."

"Sure."

You handed him the cone, not even complaining when he took a long time returning it. With your blank stare, you stared at the half-finished ice cream. Your eyes darted to Sunoo, who was busy texting, not caring about his melting ice cream.

"It's melting," You told him.

He went on texting as if he didn't hear you. The ice cream started melting and a droplet of cream was ready to slide off onto his hand. You leaned across the table and licked it. Sunoo froze and looked at you, eyes widened. Sunghoon's phone slid out of his grasp yet again. The phone fell with a klunk! on the ground, and silence settled in.

"It was melting," You blurted out, the silence driving you insane. "Why are you looking at me like that? We always share food. Do you want me to get a new one for you?"

Sunoo's face turned red hot and he got up abruptly. You felt your heart beat nervously... you didn't think you did anything wrong. Why is he suddenly so angry? Do men have periods?

Before you could open your mouth to speak, he pushed open the door of the cafe with his ice cream in one hand. Was he leaving? You tried to get up after him, but Sunghoon pulled you down with his strong hand.

"Forget about him. We'll find him later. Finish your ice cream first."

Quickly, you chomped down your ice cream in a few large bites, holding your head in your hands as you suffered from a brain freeze. It took you a few seconds to recover, but you were soon up on your feet, determined to find Sunoo.

"Let's go," You say impatiently.

Sunghoon didn't move. You pulled at his sleeve, but he remained like a solid boulder.

"Why are you guys so stubborn today? I'm going to find Sunoo. Stay here if you want to."

"No. I'll come."

Sunghoon took your hand in his and together you exited the shop. The butterflies in your stomach fluttered as you looked down at your entangled hands.

"Hm? What are you looking at?" Sunghoon asked.

"Nothing!" You replied brightly, smiling up at him with blushed cheeks.

Sunghoon gazed at you with amazement. What a beautiful smile.