chapter 5

the next day passed very fast and soon it was the day of your race with adam. you were honestly quite excited and you pulled up to the venue, before skating in to see where your scheduled race would be. suddenly a familiar voice called out to you.

"hey ms l/n. thank you for being with him that day. mr ainosuke changed alot. he's alot happier now. thank you for helping him realise the joy of skating again." you cocked your head, letting a huh escape your lips. tadashi continued to explain, realising that you didnt know adam's situation. "mr ainisuke has had it rough his whole life and skating once brought him joy but the pressure and everything got to him and he lost his way and lost sight of the joy of skating. he was criticised alot by his aunts and even hit by them, and i guess he was told that was what love was. i dont think he ever understood love... so he got lost and he became obsessed with winning and being the best, leaving him all alone... i dont know how but i think spending time with you that day made him go back to his original cheerful self the one who had been lost within him so long ago."

your heart tinged, hearing adam's story as tadashi bowed in gratitude as you brushed it off saying it probably wasnt your doing. soon your race was about to begin and you gave tadashi a smile as you headed to the start line. suddenly, it was like adam had entered from the firey gates of hell as fire illumated his path as he skated to the start line. he looked different with his mask on which you guessed was to conceal his identity and he was using a different board. "what an entrance huh" you teased and adam smiled at your snarky comment.

the lights began to countdown and flash as the two of you got into your stances on your boards. "im gonna win" you announced and adam laughed. as the buzzer buzzed, you and adam dashed forward skating down the rocky path. the whole way you two were neck and neck. each time one of you displayed an amazing trick to pull you ahead, the other would do their own and catch up. it was like neither of you could drop your opponents. adam smiled as he looked at you, enjoying your determination as he enjoyed skating by you. he didnt feel lonely, not when he was skating with you. you caught his gaze and laughed, trying to pull ahead once again but failing.

suddenly, adam raced forward infront of you. you cocked your head, realising he was going to do his love hug thing you heard about. suddenly his board tipped and he started bounding towards you up hill. your eyes widened not sure how he was doing it. his arms were wide out and you couldnt figure out what he was doing. before you knew it you had fallen into the trap and adam clicked your boards together before grabbing on to you. you nodded... "ohhhh a hug" you understood and adam chuckled.

despite his previous track records, adam was gentle with you. he held onto you as the two of you skated down, changing poses every so often for the fun of it and believe it or not you were enjoying this "dance". slowly you were leaned over in adam's grasp, like the finishing pose in any dance you would see. you laughed before smiling with pure enjoyment at adam. adam's cheeks flushed pink but it was too dark for you to notice.

you guys began to approach the warehouse and adam let go of you. this was the last lap, the chance to drop the other and cross the line first. the two of you raced in, dropping and sliding down the railings and pipes. despite all the flips and quick escapes, you two never lost sight of each other, maintaining the same close distance throughout. as the finishing line drew close, you quickly flipped off the railing, pulling youa good 2 metres infront of adam. you didnt look back and pulled yourself towards the line. just before you reached rhe screech of wheels against the ground raced past you, beating you to the line by a millisecond. you lost.

you crossed your arms beginning to pout. you faked disappointment but you were filled with excitement. adam and you kept up with each other never leaving each other behind, it was so fun skating with him and you felt your heart pound. "you good?" adam asked as he chuckled. you fake huffed. "i'll win next time" you declared and adam smiled. he was reassured that there would indeed be a next time.