Chapter 23

It was finally sun down, Kate was sitting on the couch on their living room and she was wondering why she still hasn’t received any calls or text from Alice, Kate then decided that it was her turn to call Alice but before she can do so, her daughter approached her and sat on her lap.

“Hey honey.” Kate said as she kissed her daughter’s cheek. The two then had a short conversation and Kate thought what her daughter would think if she finds out that her mother loves a girl.

“Jenny, what would you do if mommy loves a girl?” Kate asks her daughter seriously as she tucks a hair behind Jenny’s ear. Jenny then looked down as she thinks and fiddles with her fingers,

“It’s fine as long as mommy is happy.” Jenny said to her mother with a smile. Kate then smiled and kissed her daughter’s forehead in return.

“Hey, Kate” Her brother greeted her as he enters the front door, Jenny then went down from her mother’s lap and ran to his uncle to hug him, his brother then bended down and hugged Jenny.

“Brandon, can I talk to you for a bit?” Kate said as she walks towards her brother.

“Yeah sure.” Brandon said as he straightens up his posture. He then asked Jenny to go up to her room. When Jenny was finally gone, Kate let go of a deep breath before speaking.

“Can you watch Jenny again for the night? I need to talk to Alice with something important.”

“You’re going to finally tell her?” Brandon said and Kate nodded.

“Don’t worry, I’ll watch over your daughter again for the night, just be sure to be back early.”  Kate then smiled and hugged his brother. She was thankful that her brother supports her.

Kate then quickly drove to Alice’s place and noticed that the lights were off, after getting down from her car she quickly walked to the front door and rang the doorbell. After ringing it a few times, there was still no answer. Kate then dialed Alice’s number on her phone, and to her surprise, there was no answer. She tried to call a few more times but there was still no answer. Kate then thought that maybe Alice was driving. Kate then went back to her car and drove to the restaurant.

“Sarah is Alice here?” Kate asks Sarah as she approaches her. Sarah then looked at her with a frown

“She’s on leave right now, and she said she’ll be going to London this night. Did she not tell you?” After hearing those words, Kate felt her body froze, and wondered why Alice didn’t say anything.

“No she didn’t say anything.” Kate said almost a whisper. Sarah then sighed deeply before placing a hand on Kate’s shoulder

“Try and call or go to the airport now, you might still be able to see her.” Kate then hurriedly ran back to her car and drove quickly as she can to the airport. It was only thirty minutes before the flight to London leaves. Her drive was going smoothly and she was close to the airport, Kate has her hopes up that she’ll be able to catch up to Alice but she was then caught in a traffic jam.

Kate then gripped at the wheel tightly as she waited. Minutes have passed and the cars were still not moving, it was only a few more minutes left and the cars finally moved. Kate’s hope dropped down when she saw on the clock that she wouldn’t make it, and a tear rolled down her cheek when she saw on the sky a recently departed plane. Kate then took a U-turn and drove back. “I didn’t make it; I wasn’t able to tell her.” Kate said to herself as tears stream down her face while she is driving. Kate then drove to her and Alice’s favorite place.

Kate parked and got out of the car, she wiped her tears away; pain was still in her heart as she kept on blaming herself that she missed the chance of telling Alice how she feels. As Kate finally saw the clearing at the trees where the lake was visible, she felt her heart stop as she saw the person standing beside the lake while looking up to the sky.