Chapter 4

They both sat there for a moment of silence until Kate’s cell phone rang, she took her cell phone from her pocket and answered it. It was her brother saying that he already picked up her daughter, Jenny, from school.

“I’ll pass the phone to Jenny now” her brother said as he passes the cell phone to her daughter.

“Hello Mommy!” the smile on Kate’s face was clear as she heard the voice of her daughter

“Hello honey, Mommy will be home after an hour, don’t bother your Uncle while I’m gone ok?” After saying I love you to each other they both hang up the phone and Kate returned her cell phone into her pocket.

Kate became pregnant when she was eighteen, right after her boyfriend found out that she was pregnant, he left her and didn’t show up ever since. At first she thought of not keeping the baby but because of the support of her family and friends, she decided to move forward and keep her baby. Ever since then she never went into another relationship and just concentrated on taking care of her daughter.

“Well I better get home now; I still need to go to the grocery. DON’T DO ANYTHING RECKLESS” Kate said and she threw a glare at Alice.

“Alright, take care, and thanks for coming here” Alice said as she gave Kate a weak smile

"Anytime" Kate then gave her a wink.

Alice stayed sitting in the middle of the living room with her smile slowly disappearing as she heard the door close. She hugged her knees with tears slowly rolling down from her eyes as she starts to think of her again.

Her heart was engulfed in pain and sadness as Stella ran in her mind. Why do I still love her? She asked herself as she looks back on everything, maybe Kate was right, maybe it’s time to let go. No, it’s really time to let go she said to herself while biting her lower lip while trying to ease that pain in her chest.

Alice stood up and took the remaining beers and placed it inside the fridge, she also threw the empty box of pizza in the garbage can before going up in her room. She closed the door of her room and took her cell phone from her pocket and placed it on her night table. She let her back fall against the mattress and covered her eyes with her left arm. With her tired eyes from lack of sleep and crying, she slowly drifts to sleep in the middle of the warm afternoon.

With a loud ringing sound Alice removes her arm from her eyes; she blinked a couple of times as she realizes that she fell asleep. With the ringing sound still audible, she sat up right away like she just felt an electricity run through her body.

Realizing that it was her cell phone, she quickly grabbed her cell phone from her night table, she held on it for a few seconds before looking at the screen, as if she was hoping for something, but she just left a sigh as she looked at the screen and answered her cell phone

“Why weren’t you answering your phone?!” Shouted the person on the other line

Alice pulled her cell phone inches away from her ear as she heard the shouting on the other line and returned it beside her ear right away. She glanced at the alarm clock that was on her night table shit she murmured to herself as she realized that it was night time and was already late for work.

“I’m sorry I fell asleep” She said as she lay down on her bed again. The sigh was audible from the other line

“Well honey, there’s a lot of people here so you better get here, ASAP!” Alice then sighed as her boss hung up the phone.