Chapter 13

Alice drove away silently from Stella’s workplace. Her grip around the car wheel was tight as pain continues to sting her heart again and again, but it wasn’t show on her face. Her face was plain, it bears no emotion but tears were silently flowing down from her eyes. Alice drove with no destination in mind. Her mind was blank; she doesn’t know where she should go.

Her mobile phone continues to ring and ring as she keeps on receiving calls and text messages from Stella, but she keeps on ignoring it. She doesn’t want to talk to her. How can she even talk to her after what she just saw? Alice turned off her mobile phone; she doesn’t want to hear another ring.

After hours of driving with no destination and with tears slowly dripping down her face, Alice drove across a long bridge and to the almost empty road with a cliff a few meters high on the left and high trees on the right. She kept on driving until she parked on a small space beside the trees. She took her phone that was beside her and went down her car and locked it.

It was a bit chilly when she got out of her car and she didn’t bring her jacket, she was only wearing a white v neck shirt and dark blue jeans. She started walking down a small path of dirt and rocks; she kept on walking until there was a big clearing where there was a big lake.

Alice walked towards the lake, this was her favorite place. This was the place she would go to whenever she needs time to think and whenever she needs her alone time, this was the place she and Kate always used to go to ever since they were kids. Kate… she thought to herself, she needs her best friend with her right now. She wanted to call her or go visit her, but she knows she can’t bother her best friend like before, because her best friend has a daughter now.

Alice walked towards a tree that was near the lake and she sat at the ground, leaning her back at the large oak tree. Her eyes were at the lake, and she found her gaze directed at a couple of goose at the lake.

Alice took a deep breath, closed her eyes and tilted her head upward. When she opened her eyes again, she looked at the rays of the sun going through the small openings between the leaves of the tree.

She remembered the moment where she and Stella were also under a tree at the park, they were also looking at the small rays of sun going through the small openings between the leaves of the tree, and Stella was also holding her hand back then while talking about their future that Alice thought that was sure to happen.But at the moment she saw what Stella did, she knew everything was already impossible.

“Where did I go wrong?” Alice asked herself as she closed her eyes and another wave of tears went down from her closed eyes. As the tears run down on her cheeks, she kept her eyes closed and she slowly drifted to sleep.