Chapter one

I hear the moans from behind me in the woods. I swing around as a walker comes out at me. I grab my knife and send the blade right through its head. It falls to the ground with a thud as I pull my knife out. I assume since there is one there are more. There always is. That's how I lost my sisters. We were sitting around making a plan when a walker came through. My oldest sister killed it. We thought it would be safe so we stayed. We were wrong. Walker after walker came through. There were too many. They already had my sisters so me and my parents just left. We ran until we found a car. We got it working and loaded our stuff in. We all got in and drove off. I could still hear their cries as we drove away. I closed my eyes and attempted to hold back my tears. We drive and drive until we found a barn. We got out and checked the area. There were a couple walkers inside but we killed them. We got our stuff and went in. We locked the doors. No walkers were getting in. Me and my parents settled down on the floor of the barn. I couldn't sleep so I took watch. My parents were still awake. As I sat on the top level of the barn and watch the walkers stumble around the farm all I could focus on were the soft sobs of my parents down below. I couldn't say anything because I had silent tears running down my face. I closed the window doors. I ran down the stairs and to my parents and let them hold me as we all became wet with our tears. I pull out the family picture I keep in my pocket and give it to my parents. My mother stares at it as her tears drop to the ground. A few days later we gather our things and go out to find somewhere else to stay. We heard about this CDC place. That's where we're trying to go. On our way we stop at an old hardware store to see if they have anything we can use. We look around for a few minutes. We found some screwdrivers and hammers. We get 3 utility belts and drop our supplies in the slots. We hear boots in the store. It's not a walker because the gait is to steady. We walk back with our hands on our weapons. A man emerges with his eyes wide and hands up. "Who are you?" I speak up. "I'm John. My camp is a couple miles north. I can take you if you want." he offers. "No. We're fine." i say sternly. "Where are you guys headed?" He asks. "A place called the CDC" my father speaks from behind me. "Why are you going there? It blew up months ago." he answers. "How?" I ask. "I don't know. I happened to stumble across its remains a few months ago. Everything is gone." he says looking at us with apologetic eyes. "No. No. NO! We were supposed to go there and be able to survive together." my father says dropping to his knees. My mother and I gather my father up off his knees and lead him back to the car. my mother places him in the back with me and she gets in the driver's seat and we drive away. We drive back to the barn we were at. We get in and the barn is full of walkers. We fight off as many as we can but they get my mom then my dad. I know I have to survive. To accomplish there goal of finding that perfect place to live and survive this. That's how I got here. Running down the road away from dead people. I never thought it would really happen. I'm only 15 years old and it's the middle of the zombie apocalypse. I hear the sound of a motorcycle then I see it. There is a car behind it. I feel something touch my shoulder and push it back. It's a walker. I grab my knife and stab it in the head. 5 more walkers come out of the woods and I take them all down. The vehicles reach me and stop when they see the 6 walkers around me. The man gets off his motorcycle. Then a man steps out of the car. The man walks towards me. He takes my belt. "Just a precaution. You'll get your weapons back." I just stand there and watch him hand it to the motorcycle man. "I have three questions." He says taking a step towards me. "How many walkers have you killed?" he asks. "At least 42." I answer. He looks at the walkers around me. "How many people have you killed?" He asks looking at me. "Four." I answer holding back my tears. "Why." he looks me in my eyes. "They were my parents and sisters. They were bit. I had to kill them then so they wouldn't suffer." I say letting a tear roll down my cheek. I wipe it away. "You have to stay strong. For mom. For dad. For Lauren. For Amanda." I think. I watch the man as he retrieves my belt. I fasten it back around my waist. the weight of the weapons is a surprise at first. It felt weird to have it off. The change of pressure was strange. "I'm Rick Grimes. That is Daryl Dixon." he says pointing to the motorcycle man who now has a name. He signals the other two people in the car and they get out. "I'm Glenn Rhee." He says putting his hand out. I shake it as steadily as I can. "And I'm Maggie Greene." she's so country I can't help but laugh. "Well at least she has emotion." Rick says. "Do you want to come back to our camp with us?" Rick asks. "Please." I answer. Rick smiles and walks me back to the car.