Chapter Twelve

She'd dreamt that night of mermaids and brooms and golden sunshine. He had tucked her into bed as soon as they'd reached the castle, and she woke with the taste of strawberries still lingering on her lips. It was probably the most restful night she'd had since before she'd left her own time; for once unhaunted by ghosts of the past— or rather, the future.

The morning passed in a haze of bliss and restfulness, Elias not leaving her side until 1:30pm where he dutifully delivered her to the base of the Divination Tower.

Of course Evelyn knew the Tower very well, she'd spent a large proportion of her time there, but she sensed Riddle had wondered at her slip up with 3W. The rest of the group were open hearted and open minded, not looking for anything to be wrong but he (and perhaps Lestrange, his most loyal) would pick apart anything she said or did.

Mentally, she set her day's agenda. After Divination she needed to follow through with the mission. It was so easy to get swept up in the romance and magic of Hogwarts, forgetting who she was and most importantly, who those around her were.

Priority 1: finding out if he had any Horcruxes.

Issue was, she didn't know what any of his Horcruxes had been in her time. She needed to know what was important to him: evidently blood purity but what else? Did he have a home? Who was his family?

Ok, task 1: speaking to Dumbledore, finding out where Tom Riddle came from. Task 2 would be casually prying with the boys, finding out just how strong he really was.

Her train of thought ended with the spiral staircase. Something about the sight of the Divination classroom brought her some odd kind of solace: perhaps it's familiarity and homeliness, or perhaps just the general aura of mystique she always felt here.

The oak door swung open as she touched it.

The room was dark as ever, heavy purple drapes over the windows. Light flooded in the single skylight, the rest dimly illuminated by candlelight. The rack of teacups against the wall was the same and the crystal ball at each low table; in fact the only thing different was the woman at the front of the class.

Rebekah Trelawny was quite different from her grand niece. She was tall and thin and imposing, with straight dark hair that fell to her waist. She was not swaddled in the usual Trelawny shawls but instead a crisp suit, bespectacled, and laded with an inordinate number of necklaces and earrings.

'You're late, little Slytherin.' Her voice did not quaver at all. 'Take a seat at this table.'

She did not point to a table.

Evelyn looked around the room. The only table with an empty seat was tucked near the back, with 3 poufs instead of 2. A blond boy and a tall ginger boy sat at it. She picked her away across the room and sank into the seat as Professor Trelawny began to speak.

'Divination is not a wishy washy subject for the social rejects and academic failures. It is precise, a science, and an art. It is multidisciplinary. Yes Divination can be taught but it cannot be learned, so if, after this lesson, I think you are not good enough you will not be allowed back.'

The ginger boy raised his hand at this. 'But Miss, we all made the OWL grade—'

Trelawny let out two harsh laughs. 'I can see you view this subject as an easy pass, and I do not need to consult the second sight to know you'll fail. Get out, Weasley.'

Evelyn looked up at the boy as he passed. He was tall, yes, but stocky and kind of mammal faced— clearly Molly had much improved the Weasley gene pool.

The rest of the lesson- tarot cards- was introduced, and the class began to collect books, quills and decks.

Her partner leaned across the table. 'I'm Zeus.' Evelyn blinked. Zeus...Dearborn? Hera's Gryffindor brother?