Training Camp: Day 1

*this chapter uses uncensored language*

Monday, May 25

I show up to work in my Nike Pros and running shorts again, with sneakers and a t-shirt. Whitey tosses me a black t-shirt with the Bruins logo on it, and I change in a bathroom. It's a bit loose, clearly men's cut, but it'll do. The rest of the guys come in, and they change into their t-shirts. We pile into a bus and head north. I've no idea where we are going, but I'm excited. No one is talking to me directly, but quiet conversations hum around me, so I put in my headphones and listen to music. I tuck my feet up on the seat next to me and watch the world go by outside me.

Around an hour and a half later, we pull into a parking lot, and I sit up, pulling my headphones out of my ears. The guys sit up too, and I look out the window to see a ropes course up in the trees and smile. I love ropes courses and being up high. All of us get out of the bus, and we're joined by the prospects. I catch some of them looking me up and down, but don't make note of it. Whitey stands up in front of everyone and starts to talk.

"All right boys, this part of training camp is all about getting to know your teammates and trusting each other. Today, we're doing ropes courses in pairs. You'll be paired by team today, and then we'll switch it up later in the week. Prospects, I want you to stand over on the side. You guys will be paired up in a minute. My guys, stand over here."

The guys and I crowd Whitey, and he starts pairing people up. He gets all the way done, only skipping a few people before frowning at his list.

"We've got an odd number... Prospects!" He shouts, getting their attention.

"Does anyone not have a partner?"

A scattering of hands go up, and I count them. Whitey curses under his breath as there's an even number of them. His gaze lands on me and he smiles.

"Who wants to be Kylie's partner?"

Every single one of the prospect's hands shoots up, and Whitey smiles a little wider.

"Not prospects, sorry. You guys have even numbers."

The prospects put their hands down, grumbling, and I bite my lip to keep from laughing. Whitey scans his list.

"Matthews, you're with Hamilton."

"What?" I ask, my mouth falling open.

"Hamilton! Get over here!"

Dougie approaches Whitey and I. "Yes?"

"Matthews is going to be your partner today."

"What?"

"Relax, both of you. You're partners for today."

"But-but I'm not even a part of the team!" I protest, following Whitey as he leaves.

"But you're still going to need to get to know these guys, probably better than they know themselves. Go find Hamilton and get ready. We don't have all day."

I stop my feet, numbly taking in what Whitey just said. I turn and see Dougie, and my heart begins to beat faster.

"No luck talking him out of it?"

"No. Guess we're stuck together."

-

I'm beginning to hate my partner as we get harnessed up to climb up the trees.

"Oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god," I hear behind me as I clip my caribineer clips onto the wire and step up to the ladder.

"Dougie, relax."