Quick Question

Wednesday, December 16

<Dougie's POV>

I wake up in Kylie's bed, but I'm alone. Her bathroom door is closed, and I can see light edging out from underneath it. I check the time. It's nearly 8:30. Wow, I slept really well. I usually sleep well when I'm over here for whatever reason. Mattress, maybe? But then why don't I sleep better at my house with my custom mattress?

Or maybe...maybe it has nothing to do with the mattress at all, but rather the person.

I shake my head, dispersing my thoughts.

The bathroom door opens, and Kylie comes out. I glance at her, and do a double take.

"Kylie, are you okay?" I ask worriedly.

"I'm fine," she mutters, shuffling to her dresser.

"Are you sure?" I ask her, sliding off her bed.

"Positive."

I can see her reflection in her mirror, and she looks exhausted. Her face is pale, and she has dark circles under her eyes. I walk up behind her and wrap my arms around her shoulders, looking at her in the mirror and meeting her eyes.

"Positive you're positive?"

She sighs, and looks away. "Yeah," she mumbles to my hands.

I put my chin on the top of her head. "I don't think so."

"Dougie, can you let me go?"

My arms squeeze her a little tighter. "Not until you tell me what's bothering you."

Kylie sighs, and I let go of her but scoop her up into my arms instead. She sighs again, but doesn't protest. I sit down on her bed, and place her in my lap, keeping my arms around her waist.

"So, what's this?"

"I didn't sleep well," she mumbles, leaning against me.

"Okay. Why?"

"I just didn't."

"Too cold?"

She shakes her head.

"Bad dreams?"

"Nightmares," she whispers, and I glance down at her. I'm about to laugh when I notice that she's covered in goosebumps and is rigid in my arms.

"Okay, nightmares. What about?"

Kylie's arms wrap around me and she pulls herself closer to me. She mumbles something, but I don't hear.

"Kylie?"

"The accident," she whispers into my collar. A shiver runs through me as I can hear her fear.

"What happened?"

"Which time?" She asks with a humorless, bitter laugh.

"You had the same nightmare multiple times?"

"Yes and no. Same situation, different...results." Her voice catches as she talks.

"What happened?"

"The first time, it was the accident, but I couldn't save the boy. I woke up after that, but you were still holding me."

I nod. "All right."

"The second time, it was the accident again, but...but the girl- she- she looked like me. And- and then I went to save the boy but he was- you."

I suck in a breath. Kylie keeps talking.