A Day With Dougie

Friday, June 18

I come to consciousness slowly, letting go of wonderful dreams. I shift, seeking to roll over, but something around my waist prevents me from doing that.

My eyes fly open, and I stare at the inside of Dougie's apartment. The huge floor-to-ceiling windows I'd seen last night are letting diffused but still bright light in through the curtains.

Dougie's arm is thrown over my waist, and our bodies are pressed together in a way that's not unpleasant. I linger in that position for a moment more, then gently remove Dougie's arm from around my waist and stand up.

I go to the kitchen and look inside the refrigerator, hoping there's something good for breakfast. I find eggs, fresh vegetables, yogurt, fresh fruit, milk, and iced tea. I take out food for omelets and smoothies and start making us breakfast.

Dougie's still asleep when I have to make the smoothies, and I grin devilishly as I put the yogurt, fruit, milk, and ice in the blender. I turn it on, waiting for him to wake up. He doesn't, to my dismay. I finish making the smoothies and pour them in two glasses as I wait for the omelets to finish.

Once breakfast is ready, I try to shake Dougie awake. He just snores and rolls over, completely ignoring me. I frown, pull back a second, and then shake him even more vigorously.

"Hamilton, get up!"

Dougie jerks awake, fumbling and furious. He looks at me and starts.

"Kylie- wha?"

"Come on!"

I haul him up and sit him at his kitchen counter before handing him a steaming omelet and a huge smoothie.

"Damn, Kylie, what's this for?"

"Just a thank you for letting me stay over last night and for giving me a ride," I say airily.

Dougie looks at me sideways. "You didn't have to do this for me, Kylie, really."

I wave him off. "No way, you let me stay over last night. This is a very small way to repay you."

Dougie snorts. "What was I going to do? Kick you out of my house and make you sleep in the back of your car? Um, no."

"This is just like with my sandals. You don't need to be the gentleman all the time, Dougie. I can take care of myself."

Dougie flat-out laughs this time. "My mom would beat me over the head with a yardstick if she ever found out I wasn't being a gentleman, so yes, Kylie, I do."

I roll my eyes. This isn't getting anywhere. "Whatever, but thank you again. Can we please eat now?"

"Sure," Dougie says easily, walking over to the table and pulling the chair out for me.

I make a face at him when he does this, but he raises an eyebrow and I sit down with an aggravated sigh.

We eat breakfast in a comfortable silence, just enjoying each other's company and the food. 

"So, what do you want me to do? I can drop you off at your house, if you want," Dougie offers when breakfast is over.

"I don't really want to sit around my house on our day off," I say, making a face.

"Do you want to come shopping with me? I've got to get some new clothes and stuff. You don't have to, just if you wanted something to do." His cheeks redden and he scratches the back of his neck awkwardly, to which I smile at.

"Yeah, that sounds good. Can I get clothes from my apartment first, though?" I ask.

I'm really wishing for a pair of jean shorts and a tank top and more appropriate shoes. And makeup. The need for eyeliner and mascara is strong right now, and I think I actually need more if my memory serves.