Nerves

Saturday, April 9

The boys just beat the Sens 3-1, and I'm helping in the weight room after the game. Dougie scored a goal and got an assist, so he was with the media for a long time. Which means he's the only one left in here.

"Matthews, you got this?" Whitey asks me. I nod to him.

"Yeah, I'm good. Go home."

Whitey gives me a thumbs-up as he leaves.

"Just us," Dougie grins, sliding weights onto the bar before laying on the bench. I stand over him with a snort.

"Okay, Hamilton. You know we're both on duty."

Dougie and I have been an official couple since just after Valentine's Day. It's been fun, and I love being with Dougie, but keeping it a secret has been tough. We're waiting until after the season to decide to tell anyone. But until then, it's constantly being on guard when we're not in the privacy of our homes. Of course, at home, we make up for it.

"You know, you still owe me for St. Patty's Day," Dougie reminds me between sets. I snort again.

"I owe you nothing."

"Yes, you do," Dougie insists.

"You said it was going to be a lucky night, and then proceeded to fall asleep at 10!"

"Still wearing green lace and everything," I grin.

Dougie gives me a 'duh' look. "So you owe me!"

"How about this: win first round of playoffs, and maybe I'll think about it," I say, tapping his nose.

Dougie opens his mouth to say something, but I cut him off: "Ah, ah, ah. No talking until you've finished your weights."

He frowns at me, but continues lifting. It's quiet for almost 10 minutes as he finishes up.

"Done," he announces, putting his weights back.

I smile at him. "Okay. Help me clean up, and then we can go home."

I wipe down equipment and put everything back in its correct spot until I feel Dougie behind me.

"Whitey will kill me if this place is a mess," I say without turning around as Dougie's hands close on my waist.

"Ky-lie," Dougie whines.

"Doug-las," I whine back.

"Kylie Grace," Dougie pouts.

"Douglas Jonathan," I respond, still working. "I will stay at my own house tonight," I warn, and Dougie lets go of me with a heavy sigh.

"Can't have that."

"Good," I smile.

"I'm done here, so I'm going to head home. See you there?"

"Yes, I'm right behind you."

Dougie gives me a quick kiss before he leaves. My heartbeat speeds up and my chest aches as he does this. God, I still can't believe he's mine. I finish cleaning up quickly and then drive over to Dougie's.

Once at Dougie's, I can hear him in the shower, so I change into the pajamas I keep at his house and wait outside his bathroom. I notice the door is cracked, and smile. The water stops, and I wait a few moments before calling, "You aren't slick, you know."

"Me? Not slick? Never," Dougie grins, sticking his head out of the bathroom, a towel wrapped around his waist. He's still dripping from the shower, and his red hair looks almost brown.