Training Camp: Day 2

Tuesday, May 26

I wake up the next morning and wear a similar outfit to yesterday, but with different Nike Pros and running shorts. I tie my sneakers on and leave for work, leaving the windows down on my way to the rink. I get to the rink early and head inside, sitting at my usual table, waiting for the guys to get there. Dougie strolls in early, running a hand through his messy hair, yawning as he does so. He sees me and freezes.

"Kylie- you're here early," he says cautiously, clearly shocked.

"I am," I say obviously, my eyes skimming over his face.

His hair is rumpled and his eyes are gray today. Bergy walks in, breaking what was probably a very awkward silence between Dougie and I.

"Ready for the rest of the week of training camp?" He asks us, taking a Gatorade out of the fridge.

"Definitely. I like spending time with you guys," I smile.

Bergy smiles back at me as he closes the refrigerator door and leans against it. "Kylie, you're welcome to sit with us in the rest of the bus; you don't have to spend all your time with Whitey."

A choked noise escapes Dougie and I turn to look at him, his face a few shades away from matching his hair.

"Hamilton, are you okay?" I ask him.

"Yeah- yeah, I'm fine. Just choked."

I nod and turn back to Bergy, shoving away musings of why Dougie was bright red. "That sounds cool. I'll definitely sit with you guys today."

"Awesome! I'll let the rest of the guys know!" Bergy leaves the room happily, probably going to find Marshy or someone else. Dougie's still standing in the room, so I turn to him. His face isn't red anymore.

"How's your fear of heights today, Dougie?" I ask him, chuckling slightly.

He grins. "Better than it was yesterday."

"Didn't scare yourself standing up this morning?" I tease him, and he rolls his eyes.

"Hey, Kylie!" Reilly comes running into the room, and nearly trips on his own feet.

"Hey, Reilly. Watch your step in here, the last thing I need is to patch you up because you tripped!"

He grins sheepishly. "Sorry. Anyway, Bergy told me you're going to sit with us on the bus?"

I laugh. "I didn't realize it was such a big deal! But, yes, I think I am."

Reilly brightens. "Really? Are you sitting with anyone, or...?"

"No one as of yet."

"Do you want to sit with me?"

He's like a puppy today, all excitement and tripping and smiles. I smile back at him, his infectious mood rubbing off on me.

"Sure, Smitty. Sounds great!"

He smiles even wider, which I don't know how that's possible, and says, "Great! See you on the bus!"

He runs out of the room, leaving me laughing to myself. I glance back at Dougie, and I catch a fleeting frown on his face before he wipes it neutral. I open my mouth to tease him when Whitey comes in.

"Matthews! There you are! I need you to help me find some sheets in my office."

I get hauled to Whitey's office to find papers, and I don't get a chance to tease Dougie.

"We need to find a copy of the agreement for today's activity and send it to the Office," Whitey says, pointing me to a filing cabinet.

I find the 'Training Camp' main folder, and then pull out 'Part One'. "And what exactly are we doing today?"