Dougie's Birthday (Part 2)

I text Dougie when I get home.

Attire for tonight?

-Casual, nothing fancy. Wear whatever

Okay thanks, see you tonight!!

-See you tonight!

I go into my closet and pull out an outfit, then head into the bathroom to check my makeup supplies. I set out a look that will go with my outfit, have a light dinner and then get ready. I check my reflection in my mirror, making final touches on my makeup.

I'm wearing a black romper, good sandals, silver earrings, and a gorgeous smoky eye. My hair is in a curled ponytail, keeping the look cute but casual.. I decide I look fine, grab my phone and keys, and head to Dougie's.

Once there, I go up to Dougie's apartment. I take a deep breath, and knock on the door. I can hear music from inside, and the door gets whipped open by Marshy.

"Kylie! You came!"

"Of course I did, why would I want to miss Dougie's big birthday bash?" I ask, stepping inside.

Bergy appears next to Marshy as he tells me where to put my keys. "Dougie's floating around here somewhere, I'm sure you can find him," Bergy tells me over the music.

I nod, and he goes to find Marshy. Dougie's apartment is huge, luxurious, modern, and it's mostly filled with people. The guys are all here, along with plenty of people I don't recognize. I spot some prospects, a couple NHLers, and then normal people. I go grab myself a beer from the coolers, giving a smile to the small group of prospects gathered around the drinks. I open the beer, take a sip, and then decide I don't really need to drink. No one here will bug me.

Relieved, since I had been puzzling about this on the way over, I try and find somewhere I can pour my beer out and fill the bottle with water. I push through the crowd, trying to get to the kitchen I'd passed on my way in. I reach the kitchen and dump my beer in the sink when I'm sure no one is watching. I fill it with water and leave, feeling much better.

I'm trying to find some of the guys when I stumble and fall into someone.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry," I say, cringing internally.

The person turns around and it's Dougie. "Kylie," he says, his face opening. "I'm so glad you could come!"

He hugs me, and I'm overwhelmed for a second, but I hug him back. "I'm glad I could make it."

God, I could live the rest of my life in Dougie's hug and never be satisfied. His strong arms are holding me gently against his body, and he's warm, and he smells so good. We hold the hug a second longer than normal, and I pull back, my cheeks burning.

"Nice party," I say over the music, looking around at the people, hoping to avoid thinking about the hug.

"Thanks. This is mostly Brad's planning. There's the guys from the team, a couple guys from my hometown, my brother, and most of the prospects."

A prospect catches my eye, and he starts as he sees me. "Kylie Matthews, is that you?"

"Matt Grzelcyk, is that you?" I tease him back.

Matt laughs and hugs me. "Hey genius girl, how ya been? I haven't seen you in ages!"

I laugh with him. "I've been good, thanks for asking! And I know, but life's tough!"

"So how are you here? Small world, anyway."

"Dougie and I are friends through work- I told you about my new job, remember?" I touch Dougie's arm, and Matt nods.