To Harbor

I'm writing these as I'm inspired, so posting might be a bit erratic... if anyone cares. 

CAN WE TALK ABOUT FREDDY CARTER AND AMITA SUMAN? Eight seconds of them in a trailer and I am in LOVE

I'm excited for the Shadow and Bone series on Netflix, anyone else? But I have to admit that I'm not watching it for the S&B part. I'm here for the Crows and nothing else <3 Kaz Brekker could rip out my eyeball and I'd probably thank him

Enough rambling... ENJOY

- TeardropsinParis (melodramatic, you may say. It isn't a question, and yet the answer is absolutely)

Inej

Ketterdam Harbor seeped into view.

Its dark, jagged lines shot up into the horizon, a stark contrast against the intense orange light of sunset. 

The Wraith had made good time as it cut across the waves. I might even make it to dinner, thought Inej as she emerged from the bunks, the smell of salt whipping under her nose. Valera was minding the helm, intense focus written on her features. Her battleax was strapped across her shoulder, its sharp edge a pale reflection. Every bit of her portrayed reliability, steadfastness.

Inej leaped across the deck and hopped up onto the railing, dropping into a crouch. She kept one hand entwined with the rope of a shroud. The searing cold wind lashed across her cheeks, a familiar feeling that always reminded her where she was. Now, Ketterdam was within reach. As much as the sea had become her way of life, her purpose, Ketterdam was home. Her family was here. Not the one who had birthed her, but the one that had been given to her through some way of her Saints. 

She felt a burning desire to touch shore as she stared at the dock. Her eyes roved around. Dock 5, where she was aiming to arrive. Kaz's dock. If he could make an entrance, so could she.

"Tack left!" Inej shouted. 

She heard Specht cross to the helm behind her. He was a sailor; he moved clumsily and with little tact. But he was very good at what he did, despite being dishonorably discharged from the Navy. That had merely been a matter of morality.

The Wraith turned abruptly as her crew worked their magic. Inej had learned how to command a ship, but she wasn't yet as adept as some of them. She had found it beneficial to hire those that could do what she couldn't. Yet something else that Kaz had taught her, even if he could do almost anything he needed to on his own. Almost, she thought with a hint of a grin tugging at her lips.

"We'll be there within the hour," Valera said next to her.

Inej glanced at her. Lifted cheekbones gave her pale face a proud look. The Fjerdan woman was someone Nina would love. 

"That's good to know," Inej replied.

"Very good, by the look on your face."

Valera pulled Inej back by the leather on the scruff of her neck before she teetered off the edge. She let out a bellowing laugh from her stomach.

"Caught you off guard, eh? So who is it?"

"Who?" Inej repeated innocently. 

Valera rolled her icy blue eyes. "Who are you coming back here to see?"

"I'll have to say I don't know what you're talking about, Val. We're here to stock up on supplies and rest."

Valera quirked an eyebrow. "Once again, your face tells me a different story. Who, Captain?" Yes, Nina would definitely like her.