3. The Interrogation

We arrived as the Gate the doors slowly opened to let our car in. We unloaded silently while the medics rushed over to make sure non of us were severely injured, Oliver had been shot in his shoulder but I hadn’t noticed until now since he doesn’t really show pain in his face. Before being whisked off by the paramedics he promised me he would be waiting for me after the interrogation. I smiled and watched the medics rush him to their hut. I grabbed the cuffs and dragged him out of the car. It was strange since he wasn’t resisting like most of the others tended to do since they fact we had interrogations of this caliber weren’t a secret.

I noticed the fear in the citizens eyes as we passed, in a twisted way the fear they had kept the order. None of them wanted to be in the same place he was. If he didn’t crack and ask for forgiveness for his wrongs he was to be shot to death in front of the entire city. Everyone knew this, so even if he was going to crack why wasn’t he at least shaking.

Arriving at the doors of the main city building another guard nodded and opened the door for me. pulling him inside the lobby I made my way to the elevator. After waiting a few minutes we arrived at the second lowest layer where the interrogation rooms were. I chose the one with out the one sided mirror, I always made me uncomfortable to have people watch me. To be honest, I’m ashamed at what I have learned to be able to do without feeling.

After tying his hands and feet to the chair I took off the hood, I lost my breathe for a minute, he was gorgeous. His brown hair was plastered to his face from the heat, I almost moved it out of the way of his closed eyes when they shot open and stared my straight in the eyes a mix of blues and green and deep as the ocean itself. He seemed to search my eyes before spitting at my feet. Recollecting myself I remembered he was only a rebel prisoner and that I had to ask him the required questions.

“What is your name?” I asked grabbing a stool from the corner and sat across from him.

“Jasper” He replied in the calmest voice, there was no fear, no regret. “And I know the other questions your going to ask, and the answers are no. Your government, if that’s what you monsters call it, is extremely corrupted and your control of people is based off of fear. Take a minute and forget everything they have taught you, told you, lied to you about; strip that all away and think about the good your leaders are doing for you. Oh yeah, I’m ready to die now if it means finally getting out of the god forsaken city.” I stared at Jasper for a few minutes as a smile reached across his face as he closed his eyes once again retreating into himself.

I took me a minute to block out what he said about the government, could it be true? No, this guy is crazy, he’ll die for his crimes soon enough, I thought.

Leaving the room I nodded to the guard outside the door and he entered once I left, going to the lobby I had to schedule the execution, it was already late so it couldn’t be today, but then tomorrow was the day or the anniversary of the 77th year of peace in our walled city. I sighed thinking that Jasper wouldn’t even get his dying wish, getting the execution over with. So I put it down for the day after the celebration. I put the clipboard back over the desk and walked t the doors only to see Oliver on the other side waiting.