~19~

As Lila and I arrived at our home, I thought back on the look that Catherine had given us

As Lila and I arrived at our home, I thought back on the look that Catherine had given us. It had been completely neutral and it had been quite hard for me to read her expression. I let out a frustrated sigh as I ran my hand through my hair. It was clear that Alex was eager to make a change. Sara was hesitant and was only helping out because of Alex. And Alistair had been nervous, but I could tell that even he disliked the way things were.

I slightly turned my gaze to Lila and felt a rising hatred in me. I didn't hate her. I hated her actions, yet I felt like yelling at her for no reason whatsoever. I knew her apology to me was sincere.

Before she entered her room, I grabbed her wrist. She looked at me confused. "What's wrong?"

"You absolutely can't tell anyone about what you saw." I told her in a firm tone.

She yanked her wrist from my grip and rubbed it. "I already know that. It's not like anybody would believe me to begin with. They'd dismiss it as me being crazy which is something I obviously wouldn't risk."

I glared at her as she looked down, obviously feeling a bit hurt that I didn't believe her.

"I understand them and how they feel. Why would I reveal their situation even if someone did believe them?"

I clenched my fists as my nails painfully dug into my palm as I continued my soul-piercing glare against her. "So, you won't out people from a dimension but you were able to do so to your brother?"

I felt tense and more annoyed with her than usual. She stared me dead in the eye. Her eyebrows were scrunched together in concern, while a small smile played on her lips. Her blue eyes were warmer than mine, like a clear blue ocean in which you could see everything.

"Mark, I truly am sorry for what I did. I'm not making the same mistake twice. That's why I'm respecting them."

Lila had always been the type to run and avoid her problems, so it was odd for her to try and confront them by changing herself first. I knew the best reaction was to politely point out her mistakes and be a supportive brother, instead of being a hypocrite. I ran my hand through my hair in frustration.

"That boy..with the white hair. Do you like him?"

I stared at her in surprise and shock and blankly replied, "I don't even know him."

"You didn't answer the question Mark."

"Yes, he's physically attractive."

Lila nodded as she gave me a small smirk.

"What is it?" I asked. "Spit it out."

"Don't take this the wrong way, but you should try getting to know him. If you like him that is."

"We come from two different worlds, with neither one knowing the existence of the other. Even if we were to have a relationship, how would that turn out? We'd end up drifting away from each other."

Her mouth made a small 'o' shape as she looked down and rubbed her neck awkwardly. I know she was only trying to act like a real sibling. We had distanced ourselves over the years to the point where our relationship had a divide in it. From the way things were going though, there's a chance this relationship would be healed.

"Well, I'm going to my room..." Lila turned and left for her bedroom.

I walked down the hallway and entered my room. I kicked off my shoes and laid on my bed. It was somewhat refreshing knowing I had this little secret. I wasn't treated like an outcast-

Is that so? Stop getting your hopes up. They might end up cutting you off. What will you do then?

The blooming flower of hope in my chest was immediately crushed. I closed my eyes and tried to fight off the feelings of insecurity and fear. Even if Catherine told us that we weren't allowed to join, it'd be fine-

Fine? This is the only thing bringing you and your sister together. How will you respond when you aren't allowed to join? Your sister will simply leave you, and there will be nothing you can do about it. She will leave you again and she will not care. You will be alone again, and there will be nothing you can do.

I shut my eyes tighter as I saw a memory of my sister and I at the beach. We were younger, before Lila herself had come into existence. When she was a he. Lucas.

Lucas danced around in the waves that would gently lap at the shore. His short black hair, same as mine, was messy. I was playing with the sand. He came over to me, a huge smile on her face as he tugged on my arm. I got up to play with him as he yelled, "Tag!"

Our mother called out to us saying, "Be careful kids! Try to stay within sight."

We both nodded as Lucas began running.

I ran after him.

His form seemed to glitch as he turned into his older self.

Lila.

But, the dream took a dark turn.

I tripped and fell. I got up and kept chasing her. "Lila! Slow down!" I yelled at her distancing figure.

Storm clouds appeared as the sea grew restless and our parents disappeared. "Lila!" I yelled again. "Stop! Come back!"

I started to cry.

She stopped and turned around with a mocking smile on her face. "Did you really think you could keep up with me?"

She flipped her hair and put one hand on her hip. "You're just a burden Mark. You're so weird and you never talk to anybody. Your grades are less than average. You are less than average. I feel ashamed to have you as my brother."

I woke up and shot up, but ended up hitting my head against something- rather against someone. I looked up, rubbing my forehead to see Lila peering at me with a concerned expression. "Are you okay? You seemed like you were having a nightmare."

I put my hand up signaling that I needed space as she moved a few feet away from my bed.

"I'm fine. It was just a dream."

She stared at me, unconvinced. "Mom's calling you for breakfast."

"This early?"

She nodded and looked away, shyly. "I'll tell her that you want to sleep in and I'll put your breakfast in the microwave for later."

I nodded and gave a small smile. "Yeah, sure. Thanks."

I laid my head back down as Lila closed the door with a soft click. Maybe, just maybe, we truly had a hope of becoming real siblings again.

'Author's Note'

Aw, who likes how Mark and Lila's relationship is progressing? 

Also, Mark likes Alistair? I wonder, will this relationship progress or not?

Here's a hint, this book (obviously) doesn't revolve around romance!

I love you all, I want you to be loved, and I hope you are loved!

-DiTrix💕