~30~

I thought about the male Mark and I had seen

I thought about the male Mark and I had seen. Who was he and how had nobody else but us noticed him? Even Catherine hadn't seen him.

He was...striking. He seemed like the type of person whose presence simply couldn't be ignored. The type of person whose confidence and charm would immediately draw you in, and you'd find yourself unable to pull away.

I shook my head, snapping myself out of my thoughts.

We entered a room to see Alistair sitting in the corner with a boy with black hair, one purple wing, and one white wing. Alistair and the male seemed to be engaged in deep conversation. He had a sad smile on his face. One I knew well enough to be guilt and regret.

Sara sat next to a woman with the same light brown hair and hazel eyes. They seemed awkward, the tension between them thick and unresolved.

Alex was talking to a woman with black hair similar to their own.

I hesitantly spoke up, "Hey."

Everyone looked up and left their conversations to gape at us. Alex stood up and greeted us with a smile. "Hi! You guys are here. As in actually here!"

I nodded and looked at Mark to see him gazing at Alistair.

Oh. He must like him.

I nudged Mark and tried as subtly as I could to gesture toward Alistair. He rolled his eyes and shook his head.

I was still curious about the mystery male Alex and I had seen so I pulled them to the side.

"What's up?" Alex asked. "Oh, wait, my pronouns are she/they."

I nodded and hoped she didn't end up thinking I was crazy. I gave her my description of the male and was shocked to see her brown eyes light up as she snapped her fingers.

"When we first came here, we didn't see him. But, while we were in this room I saw him standing in the corner with this smirk on his face."

I nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, that's him. And did you notice the fact that he didn't have any wings?"

She nodded in agreement. "Alistair, Sara, and Drew saw him as well, but Sara's mom and her wife-she pointed to the woman sitting next to Sara and the woman she had been talking with- didn't see him."

"So, do you think he really is from another dimension?"

Alex turned to the woman she had been talking with and mouthed a 'Sorry' as the woman waved her hand in a dismissing motion with a kind smile.

"Probably, I mean you came from another dimension so it's not entirely impossible."

I let my gaze drift back to Mark as he stood in the corner watching everyone else. His eyes locked with mine for a second and he quickly turned away. I watched him as he looked at Alistair with a longing look in his eyes. Alistair himself was locked in a deep conversation with the boy and he seemed to have cheered up.