~21~

I enthusiastically jumped up and left the room

I enthusiastically jumped up and left the room. I took a deep breath trying to contain my excitement. I'd been wanting things to change and I finally got a chance to really do something. I had a chance to contribute. I confidently walked toward the table where the leader sat. I pulled out a chair and sat in front of her.

"My name is Lara as I mentioned before. I am a she." She gave me a kind smile and put a hand out. I shook her hand knowing a huge smile had appeared on my face. The black mask that covered her face gave her an air of mystery.

"What is your name?"

"Alex," I answered.

"Please tell me why you want to join us Alex."

I heard the rain that had started to drizzle outside.

I heard my mother telling me, repeating it with worry and fear for her only daughter and child.

Never show anyone what your wings really look like. Always cover it with black before you step outside of the house.

I want to be myself, mother. I'm sorry.

Never question the government. The laws are there to protect us.

No, they aren't mother. I'm sorry.

Listen to me Alex. Don't do this. I love you.

I know you do mother. I love you too.

"Lara, if you'd please follow me outside. I need to show you something important." I stood up.

I took a step.

And another.

And another.

Until I was starting in front of the door that I had stepped through not too long ago. I opened it and saw the rain was pouring hard enough now. My mother bought waterproof wing dye and regular dye. The waterproof type tended to be thick and somewhat restraining on my wings. My mother always made me wear it, because I never knew when it could suddenly start raining. Fortunately for me, I had been wearing my regular dye so far.

Lara and Catherine had gotten up and were standing behind me. I stepped outside as I looked up at the crescent moon. I felt the rain pouring down my face making me and my clothes soaking wet. I felt the dye peeling off my wings and falling down onto the grass. I slowly flapped my wings as all the dye slowly came off. I started hovering a few inches off the ground. When the dye had completely come off, I flapped my wings harder as I flew around freely. A few rays of moonlight shone through the trees as I flew around their heads.

Catherine stared at me with a raised brow. "Interesting," she murmured.

Lara nodded in agreement as I landed in front of them. "I see why you want to join. Other than your wings, do you have an actual reason to support it?"