~31~

The moment Catherine finished explaining to us the plan, I took the few hours that we had before setting it in motion to talk to Noah with Sara

Sara had been crying upon seeing him.

It had been so long.

He looked down. "I know you guys are probably mad at me-"

I cut off his sentence by giving him a bone-crushing hug. Sara was full-blown sobbing now. Even I couldn't help a few tears from falling.

I let him go with a teary face and a heartbroken smile on my face.

Then I smacked him.

"Alex!" Sara yelled at me in shock.

"Please, explain to us why you disappeared for a year. We were so worried about you!"

He used his hands in a calm down gesture as he sat down on one of the couches. Sara and I followed him sitting on either side of him.

He let out a heavy sigh. "Remember when I disappeared?"

"Of course. How couldn't I? Your parents cleared out everything related to you. We were...shell shocked."

I looked away.

I couldn't meet his eyes.

It had been too long.

It still felt like a dream in which he could simply disappear.

Noah continued with his story. "I was taken away by the government for being bisexual. Contrary to what the government shows us, there are actually a lot of people inside the government working as spies, because they think the laws are unfair. I was luckily taken by one of them. I was introduced to the rebellion where I worked mostly behind the scenes. I wasn't allowed to meet up with you guys for fear of being caught. A lot of us here aren't allowed to meet up with any family or friends, because they might report us."

He looked at us with those blue eyes. Eyes that I missed so much. Eyes that used to be full of mischief and joy. Eyes that were now guarded and full of regret.

"I..I didn't mean to hurt you guys. I'm sorry, I really didn't..."

Sara held his hand. "You shouldn't be sorry. While you were gone Alex kept believing that you were out there alive. They kept hoping. I lost that hope. I believed you were dead. A true friend wouldn't've done that."

Noah put a hand on her shoulder and gave a kind smile. "It's fine. I don't blame you. Now, can you guys catch me up with what I've missed? I mean, Alex has rainbow wings? And Alex, they/them pronouns? And, who is that cute dark-haired male in the corner? I mean, seriously, he's hot. I love the emo-vibe he's got going on too."

"The first you notice is that he's hot and not the fact that he has no wings?"

He shrugged. "I'll get to that part later. But he really is though."