A TEAM IS BORN

That afternoon Ms. MacKay arranged to hold class outdoors, along the river. By getting the kids away from the rink for a few hours, she hoped to get their minds off hockey and onto their studies.

     It worked. The kids were different away from practice. They seemed less serious and more like kids.

     "We were talking about history," Ms. MacKay reminded the class. "How many of you knew that the first Olympic Games were held in Greece?" "Must have been pretty slippery," quipped Averman. Everyone groaned at the bad joke.

      Ms. MacKay continued. "Ancient Greece was the beginning of Western civilization. Medicine, architecture, math, along with the idea of bringing the world together in sporting competition, all came from this place and time."

      "What about the gladiators?" asked Portman.

     "That was ancient Rome, Dean," explained Ms. MacKay. "And gladiators were more like professional athletes. In Greece they didn't have professional sports or cereal boxes. So the athletes competed for another reason. Anybody?"

     "Pride," offered Charlie.

     Ms. MacKay nodded. "That's right." she said with a smile. "The various city-states waved their flags and wore their home colors proudly."

     Ms. MacKay felt energized by the way the kids were participating. She looked up and saw Gordon stroll to a stop behind the group.

     "Did America always dominate?" asked Fulton.

     "Well, no," explained Ms. MacKay. "America wasn't around back then. Don't forget that America, compared to other countries, is still young, still forming an identity. America is like a teenager, like you."

     "Like us?" asked Jesse, his brow twisted quizzically. "You bet," said Ms. MacKay. "A little awkward at times, but always right there on the verge of
greatness." The kids smiled at that comparison. Gordon was smiling as well.

     After class Gordon and the team worked out some hilly roads. They put on their Rollerblades, knee pads, wrist guards, and helmets. Then Gordon took off in a golf cart and ordered the team to follow him into the hills on their skates.

     "Left, right, left, right!" Gordon shouted like a drill sergeant. "Minnesota for a climate not-so colda! Now we're goin' all the way! We're goin' for the . . ."

     "GOLD!" the team answered in unison as they huffed and struggled to keep up.

     "I said we're goin' all the way." contin Gordon. " 'Cause we're . . ."

     "TEAM USA!" answered the kids.

     Just then Portman lost his footing and fell. Fulton, who was just in front of him, turned. He reached out his hand to help Portman up. Portman hesitated. The two boys stared at each other for a moment.

     Finally Portman grabbed Fulton's hand and let himself be pulled up.

     Thirty minutes later Gordon led the kids to the docks. While the kids cooled down in the breeze that drifted from the lake, he and Ms. MacKay took a walk along the shore.

     "All in all, they're a good bunch," commented Ms. Mackay.

     "You're great with them," Gordon told her. Ms.MacKay blushed. "I really mean that. I hardly remember any of my teachers. I wish I had you as a teacher growing up."

     "You never had any good teachers?"

     "Well, my dad," said Gordon somberly. "He taught me how to play hookey. He taught me about life."

     "That's nice," she said. "My mom was a big in fluence on me. She was a teacher. Still is, actually. She's been at the same school for thirty years."

     "Where?"

     "Duluth County High."

     "The Fighting Tangerines?"

     "Wolverines," Michele corrected him.

     "I know," said Gordon. "We called them the Tangerines. We played them in football."

     "I know," said Michele. "I was a cheerleader."

     Gordon smiled.

     "Don't you say a word," Michele warned him.

     They both began laughing.

     Suddenly the sound of a motor being revved came from behind them. Gordon and Ms. MacKay whipped around just in time to see Fulton, Guy, and Jesse driving the golf cart. It was out of control and heading right for them. Gordon quickly pulled Ms. MacKay out of the way.

     CRASH! SPLASH! The cart plunged off the dock and into the shallow water. Gordon, Ms. MacKay, and the rest of the kids ran to the dock. The three boys were still sitting in the golf cart.

     "Someone has to teach those kids how to drive." Ms. MacKay suggested.

     Gordon giggled. Then she laughed. Soon all of Team USA was rolling over with laughter.