DOWNTIME

Being the only girls on Team USA, Connie and Julie had become fast friends. That night after the opening games, Connie and Julie were in their dorm room getting ready to turn in. Julie was brushing her hair, and Connie was reading a book.

     Julie looked over at Connie. She was so popular, Julie thought. And beautiful. Julie felt so plain next to her.

     "It's kind of embarrassing," Julie said as she thought aloud about the last couple of days. "All the attention..."

     "I love it here," said Connie. "I feel like a movie star or something."

     "You're used to it," said Julie. Then she paused. "What's it like to have both Guy and Luis in the palm of your hand?"

     "I wish they would both just grow up," Connie answered. "American boys can be so immature."

     Julie smiled. She knew Connie was referring to Gianni, the handsome boy who was the captain of the Italian team. Before the opening ceremonies earlier that day, Gianni had introduced himself to both girls, but it was obvious that he had special eyes for Connie.

     "Mi chiamo Connie," Connie intoned, reading from an Italian phrase book. "Grazie, prego, Sig. norina Connie, si, si ... pasta!"

     Connie looked up at Julie, and both girls giggled knowingly at one another.

"The feather, if you please," requested Goldberg. He, Ken, and Luis were in their dorm room. They were hovering over Dwayne, who was asleep in his bunk.

     There was a heaping glob of shaving cream in Dwayne's upturned palm.

     Luis pulled the feather from the brim of Dwayne's cowboy hat and passed it ceremoniously to Goldberg. Goldberg began gently tickling Dwayne under the nose with the feather. Dwayne stirred, then sniffled. The boys grinned.

     WHAP! Dwayne slapped at his nose and splat tered shaving cream all over his face. Ken, Luis, and Goldberg doubled over with smothered laughter. Amazingly Dwayne didn'twake up! Goldberg began rubbing Dwayne's ear with the feather.

     SLAP! This time Dwayne smeared the shaving cream along the side of his face, which was now almost completely covered in foam. The boys couldn't hold back any longer. They broke out in raucous laughter.

     Finally Dwayne woke up. "What the-" He pawed at the mess on his face. In retaliation he picked up his pillow and threw it at Goldberg. Goldberg, Ken, and Luis grabbed for their own pillows. They bombarded Dwayne first, but the fight quickly escalated into a free-for-all. Feathers were flying everywhere.

     In the next room, Banks was having a hard time falling asleep. All the laughing and screaming coming through the wall wasn't helping. He felt miserable. All he could think about were the talent scouts who had been at the game. All Adam wanted was to play professional hockey. His big break had come today, and instead of impressing the scouts, he had played badly. He had blown it. His life was over.

     Banks got out of bed and went into the next room.

     "Guys, I need my sleep," he complained. "We've got another game tomorrow."

     "It's against Italy," grinned Luis. "No contest. Chill."

     "I have to play well," insisted Banks. "The scouts are watching. Please."

     Luis, Goldberg, Ken, and Dwayne put down their pillows and looked at each other. They sheepishly turned to go to their beds.

     WUMPH! They made a surprise turnabout and attacked Banks with all four pillows. Banks tried to defend himself. It was no use. He was caught in a blizzard of feathers.

     Angry at first, Banks soon joined the others in laughter. For the time being, at least, he forgot all about the scouts.