Chapter 3

----| Grian's POV |----

Grian had hidden himself away from the world. He didn't understand what this was, but he knew by now that it was definitely not just a cold. 

He was constantly cold. He almost couldn't move, and he felt weak, even more so than a normal fever. But most of all, it was the shadows that gave it away.

They had crept into his mind one day, a haze of black at the edges of his vision. They whispered in his head, although he couldn't understand what they were saying. At first, they were just that; voices and a haze. But at some point, they'd started appearing in his dreams and in his waking vision as shadowy figures, unnaturally tall with a strange aura about them.

They terrified Grian. He didn't know who they were or why he was seeing them, but he knew they weren't friendly. They constantly lingered at the edges of his vision. One day, one of them was right in front of Grian, and it touched him.

Its touch felt cold, like dry ice on his skin. Shocked, he flinched away from it. It came closer and put its "hand" on his arm again. It hurt even worse this time. He jumped up and ran from it, breaking out of the room. 

He jumped through the hole in the wall and felt himself falling. The air was sweltering to Grian when he was so cold. His wings flared outwards and he caught himself.

He sensed the figure following him, and he sped away, trying to escape it. The farther he flew, the closer it seemed to get. There seemed to be more of them by the minute. At least they never caught him.

Grian sped across the sky as fast as he could, the sun burning on his freezing body. Suddenly, a burst of weakness hit him and he faltered, falling. Exhaustion washed over him as he fell, the air hot around him, wings spread, arms and legs trailing limply.

Pain shot through him as his back his something hard, luckily not harming his wings too badly.

Black spots overtook his vision as Grian stumbled to his feet. He staggered forward limply before falling. He was unconscious before he hit the ground.

----| Mumbo's POV |----

Mumbo was sitting atop one of the beams running across the center of Grian's barge when he saw the figure fly in from the distance. 

They were flying strangely, high and fast but wavering. It seemed odd to Mumbo, but he didn't interfere; the hermits did weird things all the time. 

Then the figure fell. They just stopped flying, going strangely limp. Without thinking, Mumbo jumped off the beam, shot a few fireworks to get there as fast as he could, and sped toward the figure.

He almost didn't recognize Grian. His wings, usually red, yellow, and blue like his parrot friends, were grayish-blue. His skin was pale. His eyes were strangely clouded with a grayish-blue mist. Grian looked terrified, like a monster Mumbo couldn't see was chasing him.

Mumbo panicked. He rocketed as fast as he could towards Grian, but he wasn't fast enough. Grian hit the top of Decked Out's ravager head entrance and lay horrifyingly still. Mumbo landed and ran towards Grian, who stumbled to his feet. Mumbo managed to get to him just in time before Grian fell again, right into Mumbo's arms.

The only thing on his mind as he picked up his unconscious friend was what had happened to Grian?