Chapter 11

----| Mumbo's POV |----

The portal was not what Mumbo had been expecting.

He'd readied himself for anything, but this was surprisingly calm.

He seemed to be in an infinity room, like the numerous ones Grian had dropped him into. Everything was white, except for two things, which stood out. 

Firstly, Grian, curled into a tiny ball, inside a weird, purple crystal. He looked like himself. He had his usual red, yellow, and blue wings, brown hair, and normal-colored skin again. But, when Mumbo looked closer, he could see Grian's eyes were closed and he wasn't breathing or moving

Secondly, a tall, black figure who seemed to Mumbo like a rip in the world. The thing radiated cold. It had blurry edges and no details. It was just a silhouette.

"Grian!" Mumbo yelled before he could stop himself, running towards his friend. The figure came closer. Mumbo stepped away from Grian.

Hello, Mumbo Jumbo.

"Are you.. in my head?" It felt like it.

Indeed. I am not capable of verbal communication, but I can talk in minds. You have come through my portal with a Totem of Undying. You are trying to get miracle dust.

"Yes, I am, and you won't stop me."

Not so fast. I cannot let you pass. It is my task to stop those who would interfere with the tests.

"Tests?"

The tests, yes. The Watchers' tests.

"Does this have to do with Grian's sickness.. curse... thing?"

I do not know who "Grian" is, but if he is your friend in the crystal, then yes.

"That's Grian. What did you do to him?"

Me? I did nothing, it was the Watchers. I simply guard the portal. And now, your time is up. I must do my task.

Suddenly, pain raced through Mumbo's body, making it hard to think. Through it, he focused on one thing; his job. The thing he'd come to do. 

He ran up to the crystal with Grian inside and touched the Totem of Undying to it. It shattered. Mumbo almost panicked, but he knew that it hadn't really been his friend in the gem, just an image of him. The shards coalesced into a pouch, which Mumbo grabbed, then he thought as hard as he could of Xisuma's base. He felt the pain vanish as he appeared in the real world.

"Mumbo?" The redstoner thought he heard relief in Xisuma's voice as he ran over to Mumbo.

He pushed everything aside. "Did the others get the ingredients for the cure?"

"Yes, it's all ready. The final thing to do is add the miracle dust." Xisuma told him.

He led Mumbo into a new room that Mumbo hadn't seen before, containing potion-brewing ingredients. He went to the cauldron in the center, and without hesitating, poured in the miracle dust.