Chapter Eighteen

The first game came around, and it was away. As I promised Larry, we were seat buddies. As I promised Daisy, I texted her in between study breaks to let her know what was going on. Parker took the seat across the way from us. He and Larry had had a short conversation when he first got on the bus and saw me sitting next to him. I kept my earbuds in and tried to stay away from their conversation. Parker kept leaning across the aisle and asking Larry different questions. He then brought out his playbook and started asking more questions. Eventually, they put my table down, put the book on my table, and discussed it as they made a Ren sandwich. I knew going into the game that Parker did not need help with the plays. He was the only one on the court during practice that was flawless. He knew it, and I knew it.

"I can move," I said to them both.

Larry shook his head. "No, I promised Daisy you would be my seat buddy. Sorry." I sigh and sit back; I knew Parker had his arm brush mine on purpose. He eventually left and used the restroom.

Larry chuckled. "That fool has it bad for you. When you want it, I guess you want it just as bad." I slammed my table up; locked it in place. And fell asleep.

We played Kansas at the Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis for our first game and lost by three. Parker missed the buzzer-beater shot. His fans afterward took to Twitter, saying the three was a foul and the game should have gone into overtime. Because, of course, everyone assumed Parker would have made the free throws. His mood was horrible when we got home that night. I had pulled into the garage shortly after him. He waited and let me get in first, and then he slammed the garage door on the way in; I jumped.

"You can't even drive in a vehicle with me now? Am I really that bad?" He glared at me.

I had seen this plenty growing up. "Your mad Parker. Go cool off."

"No. I am fine and am asking you a question." His voice raised.

"She's right, son." The man's voice was behind me, and I turned to see a man that looked like an older version of Parker. Parker's father stared at me and then back to his son. Parker stormed past me, his shoulder just brushing mine. Spartan following him up the stairs.

"You must be the roommate." Parker's father stated.

"I' m Renee" He shook my hand.

"I'm Mr. Baer." He motioned for me to follow him into the living room. He sits in the recliner, and I sit on the couch.

"When my daughter informed me that my son had a roommate, I wasn't aware that you were a female." His tone was monotone. I could not tell if this was a good thing or a bad thing. I keep quiet, waiting for him to talk some more. "I see that you and my son have an interesting relationship."

"We are just roommates."

He nods, and I doubt he believes me.

"He lost today." His eyes gloss over, and I can see he is just as upset about losing as Parker is. "He has a bright future ahead of him. This is just the start for him. And he cannot have any distractions."

"I can assure you; I'm not trying to be a distraction." Even though in the back of my head, I knew I was one for Parker. He may not admit it, but he was driving me crazy. Tonight was the first game of the season, and with how many times his hand brushed mine, I couldn't even count. Even on the way to the court, he had asked for a drink of water. He reached over and yanked on my hand to let me know.

"Good. Because in the lease, there is a section that states we can ask you to rehome if it is not in Parker's best interest." If this was a bluff, I wouldn't know since when Melissa had me sign the lease, I just signed on the lines and didn't read any of it. But after seeing how this year had gone. With Parker having a maid, someone that stocked the fridge for him, me as the babysitter, I would believe that was somewhere in the lease.