Chapter Twenty-Six

But there was something off about the texts. I had never given my phone number to Parker. He had hinted around to it, and I knew it drove him crazy, so that was why part of me had not relented. I liked driving him a little bit crazy. Daisy had told me that he had asked her for it, and she said she had not given it to him out of her friendship with me. I appreciated it, but with how much Daisy loved the Michigan State lineup, she could have changed her mind and given it to him.

When we got home, Parker was not home yet, but my mom said she would be calling it a night early from traveling to all the shopping she was wiped. I got her settled in my room and told her I would be up later. I had been planning on crashing on the couch.

Undisclosed Number: Or we could go for a walk earlier? Me: Parker, where are you? Undisclosed Number: Almost home. Want to wait for me outside?

I text Larry on the side.

Me: Do you know where Parker is?

Larry snaps me a picture of Parker that appears to be of him at an apartment or dorm party. With a text that said. He's going to crash here...

I hesitate.

Me: Can you have him call me?

A couple seconds later, my phone is ringing.

"Ringer, what's up?" Larry spoke, not Parker.

"I need to talk to Parker."

Larry laughs. "He's a little busy right now." There is music in the background.

"Larry, please."

I can hear noises in the background and then "Hey, where's Parker? Ringer needs him."

Parker's voice is on next. "Ringer," but his voice sounds different, lighter.

"Parker, what are you doing?"

There is some shouting in the background, and I can hear him yelling "yea!" and I wonder if he's listening to me.

"Parker."

"Oh, now you want to talk to me. As soon as I leave you alone." His voice wasn't harsh. It was more of a joke. "Look, Ren Ren, I am a little busy."

"Listen to me, Parker. Have you been texting me tonight?" My voice is shaking; Spartan was sitting next to me on the couch, my feet pulled up to my chest.

"Um, Ren... That would be kind of hard since you won't give me your phone number."

"You have never asked for it," I say.

"I think I have hinted at it pretty hard." his voice has more of an edge to it now.

"Can you come home?"

"Why are you scared without me?" He laughs. "Your moms there, Ren. I'm off of babysitter duty."

I know he has been drinking.

"Can you come or not?"

"I can't. I've been drinking." He says his voice is lighter again.

"Parker, if you haven't been texting me, then..."

There is a knock at the door right then.

"Parker," my voice is frantic, "how far away are you?"

"Shit." I hear on the other line. "Fuck. Hold on, Ren."

"Someone is knocking on the door."

There are party noises on the other end of the phone.

"Sorry. I spilled something on my shirt. What's this really about Ren?"