03

𝓴𝓲𝓵𝓫𝔂 𝓰𝓲𝓻𝓵 // 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓫𝓪𝓬𝓴𝓼𝓮𝓪𝓽 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓻𝓼

"So you broke up with her?" Bokuto asked as he caught up with Akaashi during their lunch break. 

"It's already got around that quickly, huh?" Akaashi wasn't surprised though. He knew Hayami would make him out to be the bad guy, or at least try to do just that. Akaashi's reputation wouldn't be ruined that easily, despite what she might think.

"Did you do it for the girl from the letter?" Bokuto questioned with a smirk.

"You know it was going to be impossible to meet her if I was still with Hayami."

"What if it doesn't work out? Like between you and this new girl. What if she has a boyfriend?"

"I don't know."

Akaashi didn't think too far ahead. Deep down, he assumed everything would work between him and Y/n. He didn't consider the possibility of you being with someone and just wanting to be friends.

And there there was the question of why he wanted a relationship with you, when he has never actually met you.

The thought popped suddenly into his mind. If he went to Nekoma, and backed out of meeting you, he could write a letter and send it to you. He didn't want to lose you again right after you made contact. 

Pulling out his notebook, he turned to a blank page. He just had to start writing ...

Y/n,

It was nice to hear from you. I hope everything is going well.

Akaashi cringed. He sounded too formal, and he couldn't remember how he used to sound in his letters to you. 

If this is how he's writing to you, how would be even speak to you?

Akaashi vigorously erased and stared down at the only word left on the page. Your name.

To actually say your name to you, Akaashi must have pictured that moment a thousand times back then.

Y/n,

It has been a while. Better late than never to finally respond.

Erase.

He didn't want to sound as though he had been holding a grudge all this time.

Akaashi leaned back in his chair, staring down at your name again. He tapped his pen on the edge of his notebook.

But then there was that part in your letter. You never left. You leaving was what prompted him to ask to meet you in the first place. He didn't want to dwell on it too much, but he always used it as an excuse as to way you never wrote back.

He didn't want a letter that just 'hello, nice to here from you.' He wanted to tell you he missed writing to you. That he missed you. The two of you had become close through these letters over the years. Despite being kids, he felt there was some kind of connection.

- ♡ - 

Akaashi and Bokuto hopped off the bus and headed toward the Nekoma gymnasium. School had been out for a little while, so any hope of seeing you was slim unless you happened to be in a club that stayed as late as volleyball practice.

Imagine if she was at our practice, Akaashi thought, even though he couldn't pick her out of a crowd if he tried.

Bokuto must have seen the distant look on Akaashi's face.

"We'll make sure to ask if they know her." He reassured him, bumping his fist on his shoulder.

The joint practice seemed to drag on, and Akaashi knew he only had a small window of time to try and ask Kuroo or Kenma if they knew who Y/n was. His heart was pounding with excitement and nervousness that he could barley focus on setting.

Needing a moment to focus, Akaashi pushed his way through the doors and jogged towards the water fountains on the side of the building. His mind started to wander as he filled his water bottle, imagining what Y/n could possibly look like.

The color of her hair, her eyes, the softness of her skin - 

Akaashi turned to head back, unaware that there was someone at the other end of the fountain. He stopped for a moment, and noticed her Nekoma jacket.

He noticed how her long eyelashes delicately touched her cheeks, while carefully keeping her hair back. Her rosy lips pursed as she sipped at the stream of water.

As she straightened up, he caught himself from staring and quickly turned away and headed back into the gym. 

Why didn't he stop? If she noticed him, she probably thought he was weird for just standing there watching her drink water. He tried to shake the thought and pretend the interaction was all in his head.

As the teams started to disperse to gather their things, Akaashi jogged over to Kuroo who was already talking to Bokuto.

"Oh, man, Akaashi's looking for a girl who goes here," Bokuto said, smacking Kuroo in the chest.

Kuroo smacked him back before turning to Akaashi.

"What's her name?" He was suddenly excited at the thought of Akaashi looking for a Nekoma girl. 

Part of him wasn't to keen on the idea of telling Kuroo because he knew Kuroo would try and embarrass him in front of her. But then there was the chance of Bokuto doing the same, so regardless, Akaashi probably wasn't going to make it out of the interaction unscathed. 

Akaashi rubbed the back of his neck before quietly saying, "Y/n."

A devious smile spread across his face, and chuckled.

"Oh you mean our manager?"