Chapter 4

Alya wasn't sure what she would have said if anyone suggested she would be sitting in the library six months after arriving in Auradon, tutoring the prince who used to be her mark. She may have laughed, she may have cried. At the moment, she was torn between those two options and hurling the world history book at Wayhem's head.

"Clearly these people have never been to Agrabah," Wayhem sniffed as he looked through the history textbook with disgust. "Our castle is not nearly that small compared to the other buildings."

Alya massaged her head, elbows leaned up on her own notebook and textbook. They had gone down a rabbit hole comparable to the one leading to Wonderland. Wayhem had completely forgone the question on the study guide she had asked him, instead taking the time to comment on every supposed inaccuracy he could find in the Agrabah chapter of the book.

Alya looked away from Wayhem, instead focusing on the only enjoyable part of this afternoon tutoring session.

Nino was set up next to her at their round library table, idly doodling in his notebook as Alya attempted the impossible. He has scribbled some music notes, a little frog symbol and something that could have been her old compass. She watched him with a small smile, his presence soothing her aggravation. If she wanted to have any chance at spending some non-Wayhem involved time with Nino, she'd have to get farther along in tutoring than where they were. Alya sighed, pulling her gaze away from Nino to face down her current obstacle. If she wanted to move this long, she'd have to do the one thing that made her want to gag - play on his ego.

Alya sat forward, tilting the textbook down to where Wayhem was forced to look her in the eye instead of the pages.

"I know it's not as... flattering as you'd like," Alya said as Wayhem looked at her warily, "but let's not forget, this book wasn't written by someone of your stature. No one could capture the true Agrabah in a way that would satisfy the prince of the kingdom."

Wayhem preened under her praises, his chest puffing out slightly. Nino meanwhile was trying not to laugh, wincing when Alya's foot connected with his shin.

"Most definitely," Nino confirmed, eyeing Alya as he leaned down to rub his wounded shin.

"You're right," Wayhem agreed, leaning back with his arms crossed behind his head. "No peasant could truly understand the splendor we live with."

"Right..." Alya quipped, her attention turned back to the study guide at hand. If she wanted to keep up appearances as a good tutor, she would have to make sure Wayhem absorbed at least some information. "So let's talk about the third dynasty of Agrabah - "

"Not so fast, Alya," Kim interrupted as he approached the studying teens. He was dressed in his Auradon tracksuit, a duffle bag swung over his shoulder. He nudged Wayhem's shoulder, causing the prince's expression to immediately sour. "I need him in the amphitheater in 5."

Wayhem groaned, leaning forward to where he was propped up on his elbows looking Alya's direction for the first time the entire session.

"Why did Coach make him captain instead of me?" Wayhem bemoaned, despite Kim standing just behind him, rolling his eyes. "I'm obviously better. Who else could claim dynasties to their name? You know who else would appreciate dynastic family lines?"

"Who?" Alya indulged, surprised that he even knew he was a member of a dynastic family lineage. He must have absorbed something while she was going through the chapter with him.

"Chloe," Wayhem said in a dreamy tone. Alya tried not to roll her eyes at his obvious infatuation. Only someone as self-absorbed as Wayhem could be so over the moon about the always self-important Chloe. It was the only other topic he seemed interested besides talking about himself.