Chapter 25

Auradon Prep's Cotillion was a lot like every other social gathering that was hosted by the school - over complicated and extremely extravagant. Carriages swarmed the yacht club dock where the sprawling oversized sailing vessel was moored. The gangplank was covered by a red carpet that lead from the photo spot where the paparazzi stood waiting to question and take pictures of the student guests. One carriage in particular was what they were all excited to see. Everyone wanted to know just what the Isle Kids would show up in.

"Why does everything have to involve a bunch of monkeys waiting around with cameras?" Kim hissed as they entered the line of carriages that led to the start of the red carpet. He tugged at the collar to his red áo dài, glaring out the tinted window at the waiting press. He had refused to wear a tux like the others and was threatening to show up in his fencing sweats until Alya offered a solution. She had brought the Vietnamese tunic to his room two hours before the start of Cotillion and threatened to force him into it if he didn't get changed and look nice. She was just lucky he liked the fact there was a gold dragon emblazoned across the left chest or he wouldn't have touched it. When he showed up for the carriage, Alya was kind enough to not mention the fact that he was wearing black jeans and matching boots under it.

Kagami reached up and swatted at his hand to stop his tugging.

"Stop that," she ordered, before returning her hands to her lap. "You're just going to wrinkle it."

"And that's a problem because?"

"Because then you'd look sloppy and that's definitely not something you want spread around after Cotillion," Kagami responded. "Good press lasts for a minute, but bad press lasts forever so it's better to look nice."

Kim rolled his eyes but had to admit, she may have a point. Everything they had ever done wrong seemed to be stacked against them while everything the Isle kids did that was right went unnoticed. Maybe when Marinette became a Lady of the Court they'd finally lay off.

Kagami was as composed as ever, ankles crossed and one hand on top of the other as she sat waiting for the door to be opened. Unlike ever other girl who would show up to Cotillion, she was wearing a white jumpsuit with a tuxedo cape attached around her shoulders. At her waist it faded from white to a vibrant peach color with barely visible cherry blossoms overlaid on the fabric. Gold jewelry matched her makeup and pearl barrette that kept her hair pulled back away to expose the severe planes of her face. Judging from the stony look on her face, she was just about as excited about all of this as he was. Maybe if he managed the same scowl they could move through the paparazzi procession before all the good food at the buffet was eaten.

"Why doesn't Nathaniel have to deal with this?" Kim groaned.

"Sabrina had to be here early to help finish setting up so he came with her," Alya said as she examined her makeup in a small gold compact. She was more dressed up now than when they were at the coronation. Then again, this time around she didn't have to be concerned about whether she would trip over her dress as they fled from the cathedral with the stolen wand in hand. That meant she truly went all out in a dress that was all wine colored silk and faux-leather. The top half was a scoop neck cut composed of leather cut into a lace pattern, with illusionary sleeves that ended in leather lace cuffs. There was a hole that took up most of her back, edged in leather lace with a strip going down her spine. The skirt changed to shimmery red silk that billowed out from the bodice and whispered when she moved, every so often revealing her strappy gold heels. Her hair was even curlier than the usual wave with little gold pearls weaved into the braid crown she had intricately crafted, matching the gold doubloons and fish hooks that hung from her ears. Around her wrists were leathery bracelets with sharpened gold studs that echoed danger like the gold skull and crossbones necklace that rested on her collarbone. If Kim had to guess, she probably had a knife or two hidden under all that silk in case things went south. Kim couldn't fault her if she did, not when he had his hunting knife clipped to his belt under his tunic.