yonameno // step into the canvas.

{ og post date: march 23rd, 2021. sfw. word count: 1,008. }

~

dipping her fingers tips in the small piles of paint, angie grinned at the cool contact and looked at the different shades of blues that were on her. navy blue, electric blue, baby blue, and snow blue; these were to be spread on the canvas that currently was on the floor in front of her, a start to the sky of a scene she was not sure of yet. as her fingers traced the canvas like they were at at an elegant ballroom dance, she pictured in her mind where this took place and immersed herself into the made-up world.

of course, stuck in her mind with her eyes closed and allowing her hand to run without a clear path, she is unaware of the single audience member that stumbled into her studio: himiko. the mage didn't mean to intrude, she simply had a favor to ask of the artist that had something to do with a magic trick she wished to perform at the spring showcase. turning on her heel to leave, there was a noise of acknowledgement that came from behind her, to which was followed by a calm yet happy greeting.

"hello, hello! what brings you here to my melting, season changing world?" asked angie, as she lifted her hand from the canvas and used her thumb to get a bit of cloud white, obvious as to what she'd use it for. the way she spoke when in the middle of a painting session always gave himiko an odd feeling, like she belonged in the places that she spoke of yet cannot see it herself. it was too imaginative for the mage to put herself in, nor does she think she'd like to experience those vivid thoughts.

"i wanted to have a bit of assistance with an act i've been working on, fixing the kinks and bits that need it. i didn't know you were in your happy state of mind," explained himiko, as her eyes lingered on the artist's thumb brush against the parts that were blue; the mixing and spiraling of the colors reminded her of an illusion, something she had knowledge in due to her ultimate talent. angie's expression appeared content and calm, her own eyes drooping as if she was just a tad bit sleepy, though the mage assumed it was because she wasn't really there mentally.

in a quick flick, angie finished the sky despite it missing certain parts; she compares her creative process to a puzzle with one-hundred-fifty pieces to connect. "sweet himiko, come here, god wishes you to skip through the dew covered meadow." she requested, as she used a paper towel to wipe off her fingers then proceeded to squeeze a number of green shades onto a different palette. this is definitely not what she wanted to do, however she took this as a 'returning the favor' scenario and went along with what her god desired.

silently, himiko tiptoed through the maze of supplies scattered throughout the floor, reminding her of her own room that she was much too tired to clean and organize. sitting next to angie, she rolled up her sleeves and watched the artist offer the colors to her; "use only these three first while you skip, then use those next as you dance smoothly like a ballerina." the instructions were unclear to himiko, she isn't the best with poetic or imagery language used in class, and to top it off she is no artist. with a simple nod in understanding, himiko let the paint stick itself to her fingertips and hovered her hand over the canvas.

angie ran her hands up the mage's biceps and to her shoulders, leaning closer to softly instruct the girl. "close your eyes and let the world you are currently in crumble away... clear your mind, go to the place where you find the most comfort in, where you are safe." she said, the light touches caused himiko's stomach flip like the morning pancakes kirumi cooks for everyone. the mage let her eyes flutter shut, her hand pressing against the canvas and began to mimic the act of skipping with her fingers. rather see the landscape, she felt the change from a cool winter to a warm spring, and her body felt like how it would in a dream.

like in her unconscious nights, himiko could not see the lines and colors of figures but can feel and hear what was there; the birds chirping in the dawn light as they returned home, the bunnies thumping against the grass as they get themselves to wake up, and the low-hanging branches of a tree tapping against a window to a cottage. there was a breeze of laughter from outside, one that always made her muscles relax, her cheeks growing more warm than it was becoming in the new season. it was beautiful, she didn't want to leave.

"that's perfect, himiko," whispered angie, as she brushed her fingers down her skin and grabbed her wrist with a light grip. this made himiko open her eyes and watch the other pull her hand away, seeing the new spread of art on the canvas created by her; it, strangely, was the exact meadow she had seen in those moments of dream-like thought.
"wow... so that's what you love so much about this, angie?" she asked, her murmur melting angie into her frame, the affection subtle but loved.

there is no verbal response from the artist, only an lighthearted embrace that didn't feel real - like the two of them were still stuck in that world, the cozy touches and sounds trapped within their subconscious with no intent to leave them be. hours could have passed, ticking away the day of practice and stress for the close future, not that himiko nor angie worried about.
a safe space had took root in himiko, one that angie planted, and it bloomed without the effort of a thousand farmers; a flower of healing that would remain entangled within himiko for the time she knew the artist.