chimukuro // bunny day.

{ og post date: april 4th, 2021. sfw. word count: 1,647. }

~

"i feel stupid," said mukuro, as she stared at her reflection in the mirror. she had put on a white bunny hood, one that was offered to her for that sunday morning.
"it's apart of what we do every easter, though," replied chihiro, as he finished strapping the similar green froggy hood onto himself. turning towards her, he gave her a small smile and continued; "but if it really bothers you, you aren't mandatory to wear it." in response to this, mukuro reached up and grabbed the ears, silently showing she refused this notion and would keep it on for the entire day.

it was bunny day in japan, and mukuro had been invited to the fujisaki-nanami household to celebrate. this holiday was the one she never celebrated as a young child, she can't even remember what the purpose of it was; all she celebrated was the japanese traditions common in their town and christmas. but time went by fast, the last time she did anything with her sister, junko, was a random year after they turned the age of thirteen. ever since then, mukuro fell out of celebrating these different things and became used to doing absolutely nothing special with friends or family.

that is, until she started dating chihiro. thanks to him and his welcoming father and sister - and strange pet rabbit - she returned to the days of fun activities relating to the occasion, and made new memories to replace the old, forgotten ones.
"what is the reason for easter? all i know is that it just contains colored eggs and fluffy bunnies," asked mukuro, as she walked into the kitchen where taichi and chiaki were, who were wearing their own bunny and chick hoods. as strange as it was, it fit the family's lighthearted energy, bringing a little glee deep down in her chest.

"something to do with christ and the christian religion, i think. in our country, it is more so a free day to be with the ones you care about and do silly tasks. it is mainly for children, though," answered chiaki with a small nod, her bunny ears flopping a bit as she did. from behind her, monomi waddled out in the open with a bowl of boiled eggs in her paws.
"and these required tasks consist of dying eggs then hiding them once they're dry!" exclaimed the rabbit, as she slid the bowl onto the dining table. other tools that laid on the table was an empty egg carton, six cups with different colored dyes, white crayons, and spoons.

everyone gathered at the table, mukuro observing the family jumping at it to get an idea on what to do. her blank expression hinted that she didn't understand the point, chihiro looking up at her and handing her an egg and white crayon.
"you can write a word or doodle on it with this, then let it sit in one of the colors for a few minutes. what you imprinted will appear afterwards." he explained briefly and let her take the two items, pulling his hands away as she eyed the things in her hands.
"so... i can design whatever i want? nothing specific?" she asked, just to be sure.

nodding, chihiro picked up his own egg and wrote a word on it, then showed it to her; she had to squint to read it, but it said, "poggers." the ultimate soldier really didn't understand his vocabulary, especially when his sister uses it, as well. mukuro watched as he put the defaced egg in the green color, using his spoon to swish some of the dye on the part sticking out. now that she learned the steps, mukuro looked at the egg in her hand and drew a circle with the crayon, not sure what she wanted it to be. two triangles were doodled on top of it, along with two dots in the circle with a rotated three; then it was carefully placed in the yellow cup.

she looked up from what she did, noticing that the others were still doing their own thing, smiling and giggling at what they were writing or drawing. this made her smile in the slightest, glancing over at the bowl and grabbing another egg.
after a bit of time of dying eggs and setting them out to dry, taichi moved the party over to the living room, where monomi had set up the kid's bunny day baskets as they busied themselves with the eggs. they were in order from oldest to youngest - chiaki, chihiro, mukuro - and each basket contained candy and two small gifts.

"oh! and monomi, yours is actually in chiaki's room, if you want to go get it," said taichi with a smile, and the rabbit scurried off to her room as she didn't have a clue the two of them coordinated her a gift. "the rest of you can go ahead and go through the baskets." after he gave them permission, chiaki and chihiro rushed to the couch where the easter baskets were, ripping off the cards with their names prettily written on it to save for later; they like to retape them on their bedroom doors. mukuro was the only one who hesitated, not used to gifts from anyone, this including from parents or adults in general.

taichi gently put a hand on her back, which made mukuro look up at him confused: "go on, it's okay. i don't know much about what you like or prefer, nor did chihiro, so i sort of... winged it, haha." he confessed with a smile. returning her attention to the basket with her name on it, mukuro could feel a fuzzy feeling spread all around her body, something that felt familiar yet missed at the same time.
"thank you, mister fujisaki. i'm just... i don't know how to react. do i look at everything fast? how many times do i show my appreciation?" she scratched her tattoo as she spoke.

"well, that's up to you. it's an in-the-moment type feeling, so if you have the adrenaline to grab the basket and inspect everything with a big, goofy grin, then do that." he reassured, as he watched his children show each other their new games, new matching socks, and all their candy. taking in a deep breath, mukuro stepped over to the couch and crouched down onto her knees, then reached for her basket. her hands had been shaking, she found it embarrassing, but it wasn't that she was overwhelmed. in fact, she felt so god damn excited it was incredibly hard to express to the others.

in her basket was a white chocolate bunny, a pair of socks that were fuzzy with stripes, a charm in the shape of a dog's head, and some other types of candy she's never tried before. judging by the other baskets, taichi went off of his kids' favorite things, as chihiro also liked white chocolate and chiaki also prefered fuzzy socks over regular socks; the minor candy such as jelly beans was given to everyone, though the flavors must've been another specific preference (chiaki liked the pink and light blue ones, chihiro the red and green ones, while mukuro had a mix of every color left over in the bag bought.)

she slipped off the socks she was wearing and replaced them with the fuzzy socks, this one of the ways to show she was thankful without being verbal with it - chihiro mentioned the detail to his family before, just to let them know she isn't being rude.
"now while i am quite happy with these things, i have just one teeny critique," said chihiro, as he watched chiaki help mukuro put the dog charm on her phone case. his father raised a brow at this, appearing nervous at the sudden disappointment from his son.
"what's wrong?" he asked, twirling his index fingers to keep his hands busy.

chihiro put his hands on his hips, puffing out his cheeks to add onto his fake anger. "it didn't occur to you that we'd get you something, huh!" once this was thrown in the air, monomi made a dramatic entrance with a small gift basket marked off "to dad"; she had her own basket in her other paw, since she wanted to open it with them. sighing in relief, taichi took the gift from the rabbit and thanked her, along with thanking his children.
the longer she hangs around the family, the more mukuro gets used to the dynamics of it all. it was something she never had, something she wished she had. at least she can have it now.

when taichi and monomi went through their own easter baskets, and chiaki poked fun at the fact both of them liked cookies 'n creme based candy, mukuro tapped on her boyfriend's shoulder to get his attention.
"i didn't think i'd enjoy this so much." she said, fiddling around with the box that trapped her sweet treat she wanted to eat already. giggling, chihiro leaned against her and opened his own box that contained his white chocolate bunny.
"that'll make them happy to hear, they really try their best to impress you." he said, truthfully.

"you know you do the same, chi," pointed out mukuro, who finally got the box open and pulled the chocolate out of it. the comment caused chihiro wave a hand and hide the fact he was blushing, something she found adorable about him. he simply took a bite out of his bunny's ears, squishing his cheek and shrugging, implying he couldn't reply and "didn't" know why. rolling her eyes, mukuro pushed him lightly then started to eat her chocolate, not realizing the smirk on her face would stay the rest of her time hanging out with them - especially when she was the one to find the most eggs in the hunt later that day.