🇩 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙁𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝘿'𝙨 🇩

Written by -MxssDrxmxtic-

The Five D's of Defense

Security against forced and unwanted intruder entry follows one of three models; The Five D's, lines of defense, and internal and external threat identification. The five D's of security seek to do one or more of the following: Deter, Detect, Delay, Deny and Defend. If we can implement the first four D's correctly and ward off any dangerous or unwanted intruders, we can avoid having to Defend. Offensive and intentional protection in your home, work, or school is key for unavoidable tragedies.

Deter

First, a building or area must be sufficient to deter unwanted intruders attempting to receive access. Deterrence can be accomplished by making the facility tougher to enter, with parking lot barriers, access cards, and physical or technological security.

Deter and Detect

Detect

If deterrence fails, a system must ensure prompt detection that an unwanted intruder is present. Whether that be the emergency panic button system bank tellers have to silently alert their management and security or a loud fire alarm, a detection system will notify teams of a possible threat immediately.

Delay

After detection, security systems and personnel must delay unwanted intruders from gaining unauthorized access to your school, office, or other place of business. Delay can include physical barriers such as key card entry doors or hallways to the remainder of the facility or auto locking doors if the panic button mentioned above is triggered.

Deny

Should delaying an unwanted intruder fail, denying access to your home, work, or school is paramount until the authorities arrive. There are manual door reinforcements that can be used to safely secure people from the inside of a facility using plastic, metal and even wood. If door reinforcements are not available, you can stack tables, desk, or computers, wrapping electrical cords around the door to create a makeshift lock, or any other form of barricading yourself safely from the intruder.

Defend

If the first four D's can be implemented, and a common practice for your teams and employees during an unwanted intruder incident, the last D rarely comes into play before law enforcement agencies arrive. Law enforcement can safely secure the perimeter and being to isolate the unwanted intruder then remove them from the premise. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to defend yourself, your employees or your students, you can use anything small or large to defend yourself. Fire extinguishers are one of the best recommendations from security professionals and an everyday defense weapons, it can not only be used to spray, but to hit, block, ambush and surprise the intruder. Other daily objects that can be used for defense in an unwanted intruder situation could be pens, pencils, coffee cups, keyboards, sporting gear, picture frames and many more!

The Five D's of Security are common practice with military, police and security forces but the principles behind it can be used to keep you, your loved ones, and your teams safe.