Bye-Bye, Mission Creek

"All set?" Dad asks, carrying one of my duffel bags.

"Yup."

"Okay." We load my bags of stuff into the car. I hop in the passenger seat and look over at the Davenport's house. Tears come into my eyes, but I shake them away. 2 months ago Chase ended things between us, so that I'd go to college at ASU. One could say it was a romantic gesture, that he loved me so much and wanted what was best for me. I suppose that could be true.

I'm still close friends with Bree and Adam and Leo, just not as close as we were. Dad still works for Mr. D., too.

Dad hops in the driver side, tears in his eyes. "I'm taking my daughter to college today."

"Daaaad." I groan.

"I'm driving her to Arizona today."

"Stop, Dad."

"Okay, fine." He starts the engine. That's when I start crying.

"Mellie?" He takes the key out of the ignition. "Mellie? Honey, it's okay. I'm the one that should be crying, not you."

I look over at the Davenports accidentally, and Dad realizes what's going on. "Chase." He mutters. I hear an obscenity in there, too. "Mellie..."

I sniff. "Just go, Dad. Drive."

He doesn't move. "Melanie, do you want to go to school in Phoenix?"

"Yes?" It sounds like a question. "Yes. I want to go to Phoenix. Come on, Dad. Drive. Start the car and drive me to Phoenix."

"Okay." He starts the car again, and pulls out of the driveway. We pass the Davenports, on my side of the car. Their door opens, and Bree, Adam and Leo are waving goodbye. No Chase. Of course no Chase.

I turn away and stare at the road ahead. Dad doesn't say a single word until we get on the interstate.

"Melanie, I want you to know something."

"What, Dad?"

"Chase loves you."

"No. He might have once, but he doesn't. He wouldn't have ended things if he really cared about me, Dad. Now, please, I don't want to talk about Chase!"

Dad shuts up and stares straight ahead.

"Mellie, while you blocked out the whole Davenport family just because of Chase, I worked with them and realized just how nice of a family they are. I realized that Donald has a big ego, Tasha can't cook, Leo's not great with the ladies, Bree has a shopping addiction, Adam struggles with basically everything besides bionics, and Chase..." He pauses, and sighs. "Chase is extremely in love with you. He wouldn't talk to me, ever. If he did, it was short little business conversations. You know why?" He points to his eyes. "You have my eyes, Mellie, and Chase realized that. And it pained him to look at my eyes because they're like yours. And it pains him to think of you because he's so in love with you."

"No, Dad! He's not! He broke up with me and told me to go away! To go to Phoenix!"

"Because he loves you and wants what's best for you! Same with me! Do you think I want my only daughter to move to Phoenix, Mellie? No, but I want her to go because it's what's best for her. Do you think I wanted you to date a bionic human? No, but I knew he loved you and I wanted you to be happy." Dad gives me a look. "I'm no love psychiatrist, Mellie, but I know that boy loves you."

"Okay, Dad. What do you want me to do about that? What can I do? He broke up with me so I'd go to Phoenix! Both of us having feelings for each other won't matter at all anymore!"

"Just.....never mind." Dad grumbles. "Never mind."

******************

Why is Mr. Hancock so intent on having his daughter forgive Chase?

Theories?

Comments?

Questions?

COMMENT BELOW PLEASE!

TELL ME YOUR THEORIES!

-GrAcE!