Chapter 2: Weirder things

I Martha, swear nothing has ever been Weirder than this.

After we'd gotten back to our apartment, my parents had insisted I put on something nice. So now I wore some stupid black dress, with a little slit on the side, that made me look like a geek trying to look cute and not actually succeeding.

Luckily, this was all some kind of prank, right?

A prank that was going really far.

I was loaded into the car next, and told to try and flatten my hair by my overly vain mother. My hair was as bodiless as Casper, yet it still had these strange little pieces that stuck up all around, constantly. No amount of gel could fix my hair.

As response to my mother's words, I just grumbled, annoyed.

I was waiting for our beat up old car to take us to some remote location, when my one friend would pop out and say surprise, revealing the worst birthday party ever. Except my birthday was in June, and it was July. I'd already had the worst birthday party ever! (Meaning, only my parents were there, and my mom dropped the cake...)

"Marty, can you please try to look nice? Why won't those hairs lie flat?" She reapeated, as if my grumbling wasn't answer enough. I decided to use actual words this time.

I rolled my eyes quite dramatically. "Mom, don't you think I've tried to fix my hair? It's no use. I'm never going to look good, so stop trying to make me."

My mom and dad shot strange looks at each other, that I ignored thoroughly. They always did that. Like they were having mind communication about how I was kind of "weird" or something.

"Let's just go." My dad reached to the backseat, patting my head like I was five.

I swatted his hand away, nodded, and prayed the jitters didn't attack while we were there. My face and hair alone were embarrassing enough.

****

Oliver Queen lived is Star City, where he owned a fancy house or something. Here, in Metropolis he owned an apartment BUILDING, on the rich side of the city, called, "Queen's Landing, which he only stayed in on occasion, or so I'd heard." Needless to say, he was in the Penthouse and it was FABULOUS.

How do I know this, you ask, when his TV show was canceled two years ago? That's obvious. I was there. At that moment. Inside an ACTUAL penthouse, sitting beside Mia-whatever- her-last-name-is, Oliver's  ACTUAL child, (or ward, or whatever,) 

Mia was drop dead gorgeous, despite not being the biological child of Oliver and Dinah, and their fetching good genes.

She was tall, tan, brunette, and had hazel eyes full of intelegence and wisdom, and she smiled constantly.  So far, I'd only met her and Oliver Queen within the family. (Oh, and for being in his late forties, that man was SMOKIN. A shame he was still single.... All that wasted...)

Him and my parents had left to go over "business" in his office, and I was left alone with miss perfect.

She was friendly enough, but sitting next to a model worthy rich chick when I was... The exact opposite? Yeah that- was intimidating, to say the least.

My fingers figeted on my lap, and my eyes darted around the room constantly. We were inside the penthouses "foyer." The place where rich people entertained guests before dinner. I'd been given a glass of sparkling grape juice, and offered a plate of dark chocolate by an old man- the butler. He'd left, along with the adults after that.

The room was lavish. The curtains pulled over windows that looked down over the entire city, were scarlet, and looked like they might cost a fortune.