Prologue

- LUCIANA BRAUN !!

- My name is Lucy. L-U-C-Y

- Don't play smart with me.

She pulled my arm out with superfluous force. I let myself be, otherwise who knows what she will do to me this witch. I move effortlessly and we pass a hallway that I know too well. The gigantic glass that separates us from the infant room catches my attention. A baby is crying. Poor thing, he doesn't know what to expect for the next twelve years when he comes out of this room. They are going to control him, use him and he will never have an opinion of its own and if it shows even a little attitude of rebellion, it will end up like me. Shut in. I can't wait to get out of this hell. Nothing ever happens here, at Aperture. The lady pulled me out of my thoughts by pulling me again. I let out a sigh.

- No, seriously! This is your last week and you have created more problems than in 1 month.

I laughed.

- It's not funny! You really need to take charge. Because I'm telling you, if you act the same on the outside, it's your parents who will pay dearly.

The same speech as usual. I didn't do anything wrong, but my side of the story never interests anyone. From the sudden stop, I rushed into her. We arrived.

- You will stay here for 2 days. I hope you will finally rethink your behavior during your stay! She tells me angry. One of these days you'll have to realize that your actions are selfish and hurt others.

Is she the one telling me that !? I stared at her until she finally decided to throw me inside the room and shut the door. I got up and looked around. Those same familiar white walls haven't changed at all. The room is completely empty except for a surveillance camera that graces the corner to the right. I make a face at the camera.

Okay... I'll wait a few hours or it won't be believable, and I'm out of here.

With the number of times I've been held here, they think I still haven't found a way out. They could at least have changed my isolation room, I'm sure there are about twenty of them in the building. It's just proof that they don't give a damn about me. Locking me in, is just a way of calming their consciences by thinking that they have authority over me. Ridiculous.

↠ ↞

Okay, I think it's time. I'm going to the front door.

If I remember correctly, it was somewhere here...

I look with my hand for my exit key. Suddenly, a rectangle appears under the pressure of my hand and sinks into the wall.

Bingo.

Not surprisingly, a keyboard appears. There is a numeric code to find. Luckily, this is the only one I know. 2-2-0-2-5-7 is the password I'm almost certain of. I think I heard it from one of our supervisors when we had to take our morning pills. She said it had to be changed to the combination of election day numbers. From what I read in a book, my recollection was on February 22, 2057. After typing the key, I reread myself so as not to make mistakes, because I only have two attempts and if I'm wrong, I'm screwed. After the check, I type "enter". The keyboard is flashing red. I'm wrong? Impossible. It's the right code, I'm sure of it, so why? Maybe it's a different password in every room? I feel my pulse speed up and I get panicked. It's not okay at all. I have to find the right code, because I can't stay here for three days without completely turning crazy. I take a deep breath. After calming myself, the information comes back to me. I exhale relief. It is February 22, 2058, not 57, so 2-2-0-2-5-8. I typed the code and the keyboard flashes a green flash. The door beeps 3 times and ends up opening. What a relief, I was really afraid on this shot. I take the time to turn around and make another face to the camera and start laughing on my own. I get out of the room and run as fast as I can. They're probably already aware that the door has opened. I have to go back to my room in the area F, but I'm in the B one and I can't get there without getting caught. My heart drums in my chest due to running and stress, because for once I'm really afraid of the consequences. I have to go to the stairwell, if I pass by, there is less chance that the supervisors will find me. A few meters from the intersection I suddenly hear:

- She must be close to here! Search everywhere and find her!

My heart missed a beat. By reflex, my eyes look for a place to hide. I saw a huge door to my right and I rushed on it desperately trying to open the door. The more I hear the steps coming, the more I press my weight and push harder on this poor knob. Finally, she decides to cooperate and opens the door. I close the door with crazy speed. I crouch down, stop breathing and put my hand on my mouth so I don't make any noise and I wait. I hear the steps moving away from me, but still stay in my position and do not move a bit. I wait a few more seconds, then I get up. I've never been so stressed in 13 years of existence. It was so scary. But what was even more scary was what they would have done to me if they had gotten their hands on me. Now, more than knowing where I landed. A thought suddenly comes to mind. If someone was with me in the room? Lost in my thoughts, I decide to take a risk and say a "hello", not very convincing. No answer. Great there's no one, must be my lucky day!

- Okay... I have to find a switch before I get hurt, because I can't see anything!

I tried to find the switch by groping the wall, then I felt it under my fingers. I light this on and drop a huge:

- Wow, this place is enormous !

There was a big chandelier that embellished the place. The walls were a very pale beige and there were gold ornaments in every corner. The back wall was replaced by a library. In the middle of the room was a very large desk with a lot of documents on it. Attracted by it I step forward and touch the surface with my fingers. By passing the furniture, I admired the room. It's impossible to find this kind of place in this white hell. It was so different! Just out of curiosity, I opened the first cupboard and looked inside. There was a document with top-secret writing . Of course, I opened it to know what it was. I mean, for a top secret document, it was not super well hidden. I laugh inside and turn the page. I freeze and my smile automatically disappears. I close my eyes, breath and restart reading from the beginning to make sure that I read that right. Fear froze me and I wanted to throw up. I turned the page with my trembling fingers and the rest was worse. There was a picture of me, written in red DANGER. What's that supposed to mean? As soon as this question was asked, I heard footsteps approaching and the handle opened.