Chapter 45- Promises

This chapter contains scenes that may be triggering or unsettling

Natsu collapsed onto his living room couch the second he got home and let out a loud, heavy sigh. The day didn't turn out how he imagined it, but at least it was relatively good compared to how things have been lately. 

Today's job did end up taking a turn, but thanks to Lucy's authority, their target was never taken off of the property, so they were eventually able to get to him. They didn't even have to take him into custody, because he immediately cowered at the sight of Natsu and confessed to his crimes. 

Gray will be keeping track of him to make sure all of the stolen money is returned, so the job was actually successful. That didn't stop Natsu from being told off while Cana laughed at him, but luckily his teammates weren't going to snitch on him to the boss or anything. 

Right now, Natsu just wanted a beer, but as he felt the weight of Happy laying atop his back, he remembered Lucy's promise. "Let's see if she actually answers this time," He muttered, grabbing Happy as he sat up.

Even though she said she would, Natsu still wasn't optimistic as he pulled out his phone and called her number. There was a weight that lifted off of his chest when she answered, but it immediately returned when he heard her voice.

"Salut~"

"L-Lucy…"

"Uh, yes? Did you already forget that we spoke earlier?"

"Uh, No, I just… There's just a lot we need to talk about."

"...Okay." 

Natsu debated on where to start, there was just so much that she has left him in the dark about. "Did you go back home after you left my house?"

"No. I stayed in a hotel. My father's hotel, actually. It's in another state."

"What? Why? If you weren't ready to go home, you could've stayed here…"

"I didn't want to stay with you anymore, but I also didn't want to go home. I knew you'd want to talk to me if you saw me at my own hotel, and I just wasn't ready for that."

"...But why? Did I… offend you?"

"...It's complicated."

Natsu decided to have a beer after all. This definitely wasn't going to be an easy conversation. "You could've just told me… If you wanted space, all you had to do was say that. I was so anxious and confused for those 3 weeks, why couldn't you have just talked to me about it?" He paced through the kitchen for a moment, all of the emotions coming back to him, "And if you didn't feel the same way… you should've just told me that then, instead of leaving me to guess."

"You're right. I guess that's my bad."

She didn't sound apologetic at all, and Natsu almost crushed his beer can as he retrieved it from the fridge, "Yes, it is. Was everything Levy said true?"

"Well, yes. But I don't do cocaine anymore, and…"

"...And?"

"...I am married."

Natsu saw that coming, and having her confirm it made him feel something he couldn't quite understand, "...Is your boss actually your husband?"

"...Yes." 

Natsu shook his head as he took a sip of beer, taking a moment to think about this. Now, all he felt was anger. "Why didn't you tell me this from the start?"