1881: It Takes One To Know One

Erina smiled happily to herself as she walked home from the river near Joestar Mansion.  It had been almost three weeks since her first encounter with Jonathan and her plan was going smoothly. She and Jonathan met up nearly every day after his lessons.

This particular afternoon they had gone swimming. The water had been pleasant enough, the clear water sparkling in the afternoon sun. But, as always, Jonathan ran off after a few hours, claiming he had to be home before dinner.

She’d stopped pushing him to stay when Dio started showing up to drag his brother home if he stayed out even five minutes later.

That Dio is a meddler, Erina thought as she walked on the edge of the dirt path. Perhaps he can be useful though…

She contemplated this as she walked slowly towards town, the sun on her back. It was higher than usual, but Jonathan had mentioned needing to go home earlier today. She shrugged, continuing down the road when she noticed a familiar blond figure leaning against a tree just up ahead.

She continued towards him, planning on walking straight past him.

“Erina.”

She stopped and turned to him, her mask of an innocent girl firmly affixed.

“Oh! Dio! I didn’t see you there! Aren’t you needed at the mansion today as well?”

Dio pushed himself off the tree, standing arms crossed in front of her.

“Drop the act, Erina, I can see right through you.”

She tilted her head to the side, adopting a confused expression.

“Act? What are you talking about Dio?”

His eyes narrowed and Erina began to wonder how much he actually knew.

“Don’t play coy with me. It takes a thief to recognise a thief, and you,” he pointed at her. “Are worse than any petty thief.”

Damn! I thought for sure no one would suspect anything, Erina thought.

She dropped the act—her eyes narrowing, lips quirking upwards into a smirk.

“Oh?” She asked, resting her chin on her fist. “Worse than a thief? What could my crime be, Dio? It must be one you’ve committed, because, after all,” She leaned towards him, smiling mockingly.

“It takes a thief to know a thief.”

✩ - - - - - -✩ - - - - - -✩ - - - - - -✩ - - - - - -✩ - - - - - -✩

Dio’s hands clenched into fists at his sides. Her words confirmed everything he’d suspected for the past few weeks.

“You’re trying to marry JoJo and steal the Joestar fortune. Not my exact crime but,” He shrugged, leaning in closer to her, putting their eyes on the same level. “Close enough. Close enough for me to recognise the look in your eyes!”

Erina’s eyes widened briefly before returning to their narrowed state. Dio felt the corner of his lip twitch upwards.

“You see, Erina,” Dio continued. “When you put on a mask there’s always one part of your face still showing—your eyes. Now,” He straightened up, taking a slight step backwards. The closeness was making him uncomfortable. “Not many people would recognise your intentions just from your eyes. But if someone sees the same eyes every day when they look in the mirror, the likeness is unmistakable.”

“So,” Erina started. “We want the same thing? The Joestar fortune?” She stepped closer to him and he resisted the urge to step back again. “I’d be willing to team up with you, for a price.”

Dio almost laughed out loud. He wasn’t a fool, Erina had no intention of sharing the fortune with him—she probably just wanted a pawn to manipulate.

“No, I don’t think so Erina.” He pointed to himself. “I, Dio, have a different goal now. One you are interfering with. So, I’ll say it once nicely. Leave my brother alone.” He glared down at her, trying to look intimidating.

“Oh?” Erina questioned. “Very well then. I’ll just turn my attentions to you instead.” She stepped closer to him, pulling his face down to her’s by his collar.

Dio felt his eyes widen and he tried to pull away, but it was too late. Erina kissed him passionately, then she let go of his collar, laughing at the shock Dio knew was evident on his face. He stumbled backwards, landing in the gutter. 

He scooped up a handful of the water—which was surprisingly clean—and rinsed his mouth with it, swishing it around in his mouth, before spitting it out at the watching Erina.

Her eyes flared with anger, all traces of her faked innocence gone as she marched over and kicked him in the ribs. It hurt, but not badly enough to prevent him from getting to his feet. He’d endured worse in the past.

He pushed himself to his feet, arm wrapped around his wounded side, and met Erina’s eyes.

“I said it nicely, but you didn’t seem to listen. So, I’ll repeat myself, just. This. Once.” He glared at her. “Leave my brother alone bitch. Or I will make you regret it.”

✩ - - - - - -✩ - - - - - -✩ - - - - - -✩ - - - - - -✩ - - - - - -✩

Erina smirked at Dio, enjoying the confusion that flashed across his face.

“Oh, I’m sure you’ll try.” She reached out and stroked his cheek, laughing when Dio flinched. “This won’t be our last battle, Dio. I hope you’re prepared. I won’t go easy on you. Farewell for now.”

Erina stepped around Dio and headed back to town, her head bursting with plots and schemes.

This might be more fun than she’d thought.

✩ - - - - - -✩ - - - - - -✩ - - - - - -✩ - - - - - -✩ - - - - - -✩

The second Erina arrived in town, she started her newest plan.

It was just a few whispers—scattered here and there among the youth of the town—but rumours spread like wildfires among children, growing larger with each whisper passed from one ear to another. 

That was the easy part. The hard part was figuring out how she was going to avoid Jonathan for the next few years.

But that was taken care of for her.

Her Father announced that evening that they would be moving to India in a few weeks and be living there for several years. Erina had to stop herself from laughing for joy when he told her, it was almost as if fate had arranged it.

Everything fell into place after that.

It was easy enough to lure Danny into a box which she placed in the furnace—the dog was used to her presence and trusted her almost as much as it trusted Jonathan.

And when Jonathan came looking for her in town after she hadn’t met him at their tree for several afternoons in a row, it was easy enough to ensure that she ran past a group of boys who happily told Jonathan the reason she wouldn’t face him.

As she ran towards her home, she smiled.

Everything was coming together perfectly.