1888: Two Vampires? Wacky

“This is a strange place to see someone like yourself.”

Dio started, turning to see who had spoken. The man—who had been leaning against a tree by the river—stood, dusting off his white cloak and checkered hat.

“Though perhaps not, after all, this is your time,” the strange man gestured upwards and Dio followed his gaze to the full moon. He brought his gaze back to the man.

“I’m afraid I don’t follow your meaning, sir,” Dio decided that politeness was the best course of action when faced with such a strange person by the river at midnight. And if his actions were anything to judge by, he knew Dio was a vampire.

“Hm, of course you would say that. I suppose I’d better be blunt.” The man pointed dramatically at Dio. “Dio Brando, I am Baron William A. Zeppeli. I am here to end the scourge of the Stone Mask and wipe your kind from the world. Now, tell me, what are you doing here, tonight?”

Dio was flabbergasted. This man clearly knew who he was and what he was but how had he found out? He’d never seen this man before, not even in the last few days. Dio was sure he would remember encountering someone like this. He stared at the man, trying to understand what was happening and how to proceed.

“I suggest you answer me quickly, vampire, or you may regret it,” The man spoke, his hand glowing with a bright yellow light which crackled like lightning around his knuckles. Somehow Dio knew—by instinct perhaps—that that light could kill him. Dio held his hands up in surrender—trying to make his movements as nonthreatening as possible—but the light around the man’s hand didn’t fade away.

“I’m just taking a walk! I swear I haven’t eaten anyone tonight! Please, I don’t want a fight.” Dio pleaded. He knew it was out of character, but if he was honest, he wasn’t sure what was in character for himself anymore. He was in a situation he wasn’t prepared for, and day by day he could feel himself slipping into the role of a scared child. It was not a role he enjoyed playing, but he wasn’t sure he had much choice in the matter. It seemed fate had cruel, cruel plans for him, and he was nothing but a ship being tossed around in a storm.

Thankfully, Zeppeli seemed to believe him, the crackling light fading.

“Strange. You are not the vampire I was looking for. How odd, for there to be two of you in the same place! Normally they are not so liberal in sharing their powers.”

Dio sighed.

“It’s…a long story.” And not a pleasant one to tell.

“I have all night,” Zeppeli said, sitting at the base of the tree. “Explain.”

Dio moved to sit closer to the man but stopped. He didn’t want to get closer to whatever that crackling energy from before was and his gut instinct told him that the further away he was from Zeppeli, the safer he was. So he sat on the grass, a good three metres away from the Baron, who seemed mildly amused by the action.

Dio turned the story over in his mind. Where to start? With Lord Joestar’s death? No, too late in the story. His first encounter with Erina? Too out of context. He sighed. There was just too much to tell, he wasn’t sure where to start.

Perhaps...I should start at the very beginning—before I met JoJo. He didn’t want to. Dio had spent the last seven years trying to forget his past—to become a worthy member of the Joestar family. But, Dio knew if he didn’t want Zeppeli to vaporise him with that power of his, he was going to have to explain everything.

“It started with my mother’s death.” 

Dio told his story, eyes not moving from the grass in front of him. He tried not to leave anything out, but his memory—sharper than it had been a few days prior—was blurry. Zeppeli sat listening to the boy’s story patiently, only occasionally asking questions. Dio didn’t look up until he’d finished the whole story—from his mother’s death to the burning of the mansion a few nights prior.

When he did, the sky was beginning to lighten, the sun soon to crest the horizon. Panic hit him. If he didn’t hurry, he’d never be able to avenge his father. If the sun’s rays hit him…

Seeing his panic, Zeppeli took a thick cloak from out of his bag—tossing it to Dio, who caught it, startled.

“Put this on, and pull the hood over your head,” Zeppeli explained. “It’s my winter cloak, it ought to protect you from the light for now.”

Quickly, Dio did as he was told, hiding from the morning sunlight. He swallowed, wiping at the tears he hadn’t realised he’d shed.

“You—you believed my story then?” Dio asked the strange Baron, who nodded.

“Indeed, young Dio. It seems to me that you have been placed in this mess by no choice of your own and—since it is my duty to rid this world of the Stone Mask—I will help you. This Erina Pendleton, since she is now a vampire, will have to be destroyed. I will help you avenge your father, Dio.” Zeppeli smiled at him and Dio was surprised by how well the man had taken his story. But, there was still one thing on his mind.

“So, you aren’t going to vaporise me with your—” he searched for a good word and failed to find one. “—weird glowing zappy powers?”

Zeppeli laughed.

“My Hamon? No, Dio, I won’t vaporise you. I sense you want to rid this world of the Stone Mask as much as I do, and I am not one to turn on my allies. Now,” Zeppeli stood, dusting his white coat. “We had best hurry to shelter before the sun gets any higher in the sky and you turn to dust before my eyes.”

Dio nodded, hurrying to his feet, ensuring the cloak completely covered him.

“I’ll lead you to the inn where Speedwagon and I are staying,” Dio said, starting to walk away. Then he froze, remembering something. “Shit.”

“What is it?” Zeppeli asked.

“Speedwagon doesn’t know where I am. He’s probably panicking right now,” Dio sighed. “We’d better hurry. He might try and fight Erina by himself if he thinks she killed me.”

Zeppeli chuckled but the two of them walked as fast as they could to the inn.